One of my Deco M5s won't provide a 5GHz connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-31 13:05:49
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I've set up a 3 Deco M5 mesh, where Deco1 is connected to my PlusNet hub via ethernet, Deco2 is in our master bedroom (about 3 meters distance from Deco1 though wooden floor) and Deco3 is in the Office, about 6 meters from Deco2.

My Deco3 connected to my Deco2 and my Deco2 connected to my Deco1 and everything seemed to work, but I noticed that devices were getting much slower speeds than I used to get on my old set up where I had separate 5GHz and 2.4GHz SSIDs (Plusnet router plus a TPLink range extender). I also noticed that it was impossible to get any clients connected to Deco1 on either 2.4GHz or 5GHz (I thought this was odd, but wondered if it was because it was wired to the Plusnet router)

I checked, and whilst my laptop was connecting to Deco3 via 5GHz and Deco3 was connecting to Deco2 via 5GHz however, Deco2 was connecting to Deco1 via 2.4GHz only and was therefore downgrading my whole connection to 2.4GHz and resulting in a much slower internet speed at the laptop.

I tried relocating Deco2 to within a couple of meters of Deco1, but no matter what I tried, I could not get Deco2 to link to Deco1 over 5GHz.

I reset the whole system and set it up again, but this time using Deco3 as the one connected to my Plusnet hub, Deco2 in the master bedroom(and didn't set up Deco1). I could now connect to Deco3 or Deco2 and get 5GHz connections and speeds and Deco2 was confirmed talking to Deco3 via 5GHz.

...when I tried to set up Deco1 (in the office this time) it was not visible and suggested I "move it closer to the other Decos" I did this and got it set up, but despite being only a couple of meters away it would only connect over 2.4GHz.

So. I think that my Deco1 is faulty. Is there anything else I can try to trouble shoot or should I just send it back?

Thanks

Dave

Options