Votes

Web UI Configuration

Votes

Web UI Configuration

424 Reply
RE:Web UI Configuration
2024-07-26 04:50:47 - last edited 2024-07-26 05:03:20

@TP-Link 

Love the hardware. It was super simple to setup, BUT now we need access to advanced settings from the webgui. It is inconvenient to admin a home network from an app on a phone.

The local webgui needs to have all the same advanced functionality that the app has. It is simpler to setup non-default settings from a webgui than from a phone.

My workaround is to put my old router upstream of the mesh router to be able to configure the network to my needs (static IPs, MAC reservations, etc.) and only use the mesh routers as WiFi access points. Pretty disappointing.

Options
2024-07-26 06:25:26

@Prometheus721  I will getting rid of my Deco x50 pros once the new Omada GPON access points become available, they are desktop/shelf/bookcase units like the Deco but are SMB grade and will fit in nicely with my ER706W-4G i use as my primary router as I like the GUI it has in stand alone mode but when paired with these new ap's and Omada 2.5g switch i will maybe change over to cloud based remote. But even the app when you run the Deco's in ap mode it will do just as needed, what concerns me re the Deco's is having full local control if tp link cloud goes down...hence a standalone mode is needed...even then i can remotely access via Omada VPN server on my router and go into the webgui that way.

Options
2024-07-28 22:24:18
More options are great especially for power users. Also the port forwarding setup is very slow on mobile.
Options
2024-07-29 06:52:19
This is important feature, I'm disappointed after buying this product and knowing that web interface is not available.
Options
Re:Web UI Configuration
2024-07-30 15:11:54

@TP-Link I am jus going close this down from the original post by saying, so many great ideas were offered in this thread for 2 years.  A lot of complaining, but it was warranted.  A great product hampered by faulty executing on the launch is a huge problem. Its the difference in companies from one that wants to be a segment leader to one that wants to always spend theiir time and resources chasing every other company in the sector while never reaching their potential.

The most direct and valid comment I saw made was simply that by forcing owners to use an APP to configure the device you have effectively cut the longevity of the device in the market and make its days numbered and dependent on too many outside variables to work in future applications. Essentially, a built-in web interace insures the device will be availabel to configure and work with as long as the device is able to function and do its job.  By forcing users to an app, they now are dependent on the host device OS version and compatibility with the app, app developement and consistent updates (if the updates do not come, the app may get booted from the store for non development) among many other dependencies that are unneccesary. Why complicate the system?

If the end result is user satisfaction than make sure the device is self-suffcicient to get the job done and will live on as long as the end user wishes.

If the end result is forced migration, turn over and making a buck than...well, that is truly ashame. Not every company can pull that off like Apple does...but then, they are an insdustry leader....not an industry follower, which we covered in the first part of this post.

I personally have since moved on from this device and I'm sure many, many others have as well.  And I'm sure the first thing people are looking for is to NOT repeat the mistake of an app centric culture built around their devices.

Options
2024-07-30 15:17:41

@null worrying about pushing firmware updates via app on my phone is the least of my concerns. that seems like the kind of answer or point that comes up from a focus group of noob users who are asked "how can we make your life easier?" Not understanding the needs of users accross all spectrums and levels is a huge mistake. Power users looking to control access and security are much more concerned with bandwidth shaping and functionality of the firewall than worrying about firmware updates that happen, maybe, once every 3 months.

Options
2024-07-31 13:39:11
Please do something about this request
Options
2024-07-31 18:24:49

@TP-Link 

With TP links false adertising of features and deception, I beleive this may be the time for a full on class action lawsuit. Can't screw your customers TP link. I think there is plenty of evedince from customers, false packaging, and missing features. My TP link is currently bricked since the network is hidden and it was set for extender, now I can't access the damn wifi on anything and even though I can get a wired connection I am still dead in the water since I CAN'T ACCESS THE MOST BASIC WEB UI THAT EVEY  DAMN ROUTER i HAVE EVER HAD HAS HAD.  

TP LINK THIS IS WHOLE SALE DECEPTION

REPENT 

Options
2024-07-31 18:39:15

@TP-Link I have moved on. My X55 is no longer installed at my location. It is very unfortunate that simplicity (in TP-Link's view) has taken precedence over user control. Except using the mobile interface is not exactly a simple effort. Just because you can 'control' your 'router' on a phone's interface doesn't make it a user-friendly (read simple) process. Having to sign on to an interface that collects my data before I can control MY network will never make sense. I will no longer purchase tp-link products. If the ability to utilize a direct interface to the 'router' is brought forth, I *may* look at it again.

It's too bad that the users' privacy is being taken for granted. Signing off....

Mitch

Options
2024-08-01 13:06:24
When you are doing the configuration of your home office, including servers, port forward, etc. The best way to do it is by using the PC, is easier to copy and paste, check devices, MAC, change DNS etc. Depending on the phone only is painful and not optimal at all. Please give full support to the web UI to modify evry aspects of the devices
Options

Voters 227

+ 223 Voters