Votes

Web UI Configuration

Votes

Web UI Configuration

424 Reply
Re:Web UI Configuration
2024-08-01 14:13:26

@TP-Link Here is an interesting fact that I am not sure some of you know... TP Link also makes a business class of routers/switches/access points. These can be controlled from the cloud using their Omada cloud software. Much like the cloud management from their home systems. What is interesting about this is you can also download the Omada software and run it on your local computer, buy a hardware device that runs the Omada software locally, optionally link one or both of those solutions to the cloud, or CONNECT DIRECTLY TO THE OMADA HARDWARE AND USE A WEB INTERFACE TO PROGRAM IT DIRECTLY.

In fact, on a recent install I had to connect to a new ER605 router through the web interface and configure the LAN IP address before I could adopt it into my Omada management console. Latest hardware, latest software, latest firmware.

So, TP Link has proven that they CAN make both a cloud and web interface, they do it all the time, they have for years. What this means is that for their consumer grade equipment, they DON'T WANT TO.

Options
2024-08-01 19:30:02
That is interesting. Thanks for letting me know. I always knew they could do it either way anyway as most other brands do. So it is even worse that they do it already but have decided to leave the Deco range in the dust.
Options
RE:Web UI Configuration
2024-08-02 04:52:52 - last edited 2024-08-02 04:54:03

@JAHR TP-Link are not listening to the consumer, they never will allow standalone web ui management for their Deco range...i am stuck with 2 of the X50 pro models as Omada don't have a free standing access point (GPON model coming) all the Omadas are ceiling or wall mounted. This is why i bought the Deco's because they were a tabletop/bookcase mesh unit but unfortunately i am dealing with it and at least i set them up as just AP's and use the ER706W-4G Omada in standalone mode giving me all the routing functionality in a webui.

Once these GPON's release i will sell my Deco's (at least get something back to go toward new GPON's).

Options
2024-08-04 22:54:14

@TP-Link my Deco app immediately crashed whenever I open it.  I have no way to administer my devices.  I am running iOS 17.6.  What would you suggest?

Options
2024-08-05 16:36:33

@TP-Link - Throw my name into the hat of someone that bought a system (XE75 Pro) and is currently in the process of boxing it back up and returning to Amazon.  Shame too.  I liked the units, but the lack of a Web UI is a non-starter.  I'll be looking at other brands/units going forward for my home/company networking needs.

Options
2024-08-05 16:36:56
Web UI is needed for any real configuration.
Options
2024-08-05 16:49:40

@MeatballB I have moved my home clients over to Asus AX6100 or ZenWiFi AX and my business clients over to Ubiquiti Unifi. Those should meet your needs.

Options
2024-08-05 18:16:33
Thanks. I'm actually coming from an ASUS ZenWiFi AX setup at home and have had some issues. The Mesh node only lasted about 2 years before it died and the main router is now starting to go (WiFi keeps cutting out) after 2.5 years. Had high hopes for the TP-Link setup, but my local config is complicated enough that I can't really do it through an App.
Options
2024-08-11 15:09:07

@TP-Link This is by far the silliest thing I have ever encountered in modern hardware. I am the CIO of $12B company and am using a FortiGate to combine two fiber pipes at my house to provide redundancy and then pass that pipe into a router system that will handle up to 10 Gbps. I purchased 4 of the BE95's and the coverage is fantastic. Speed is great. Configuration is an absolute nightmare through app only. 

I'll be packing these back up and off to Amazon and overnighting the new Orbi's instead. The Product team needs to have their bells rung for this absolutely boneheaded move. You have confused the personas of your users - the user wanting the hand-holding is not the user who is going to pay $2k for routers for their house. These would be great for my 68 year old mother. 

Options
2024-08-11 15:47:29
It is absolutely silly to not allow FULL CONFIGURATION options through the web browser interface. You have confused the personas of your users - the person that wants hand holding through setup is not the same person who will spend thousands of dollars on routers. You've built hardware for the power user and software for my mom. The Product Manager has ultimately failed here.
Options

Voters 227

+ 223 Voters