Votes

Web UI Configuration

Votes

Web UI Configuration

425 Reply
Re:Web UI Configuration
2023-06-05 16:33:51 - last edited 2023-06-05 17:15:49

I bought the set of 3  Deco X50 PoE on February for the new house then tried to set it up at last Saturday.

I noticed the device does:

• not have the web interface
  • require Internet connection to be set-up
  • require Internet connection to be re-configured
  • require log-in to the application each time you want to use it. App do not accessing device through your LAN, it require to authentication on TP-Cloud every single time you like to access the settings.

And thats the point WHY they dont want to add web interface. They want to be the boss here, they are decide to let you in or not, to yours device at yours home.

I don't need a 3rd party company from foreign country to allow me to access my stuff in my house. I dont need anyone for this.

Thats a scam guys. I am selling this - unfortunately i cant return it and spent 400 eur for this. No more TP-Link.

In my opinion as an IT security guy - this policy and using this device is dangerous. Now i am feeling like the idiot, because i not checked this before i got it, but i not even expected such situation. Web console access is obvious thing. The mobile app and cloud should be only opt-in opt-out functionalities.

I would rather lost of part of my money, even all, than use it, because its against good security rules to give control of yours infrastructure to someone else.

• Web console allows me to stay on version and features that i prefer, have unlimited access for this and it will work forever.
  • Mobile Application depends of Phone manufacturer,  OS Manufacturer, i cant pick version what i want, and its automatically managed and update by someone else than me.

@TP-Link the point is we don't want you between us and our devices.

Let me ask the few question:

• why you want be a man in the middle?
  • why you want to authenticate us to use our own devices?
  • why you do not allow to manage devices from application by the LAN, without TP-Link Cloud authentication?
  • what will happen when TP Cloud reach end EoL ?
  • how can i access my device when TP Cloud will be down?
  • what in case World War 3 between my and your country? You have all-time access to manage my devices. You may inject me any code, shut my network down or damage my devices connected to the network. You may also scan the network about my private data.

P.S.

There is no cloud. There is only someone else computer.

Options
RE:Web UI Configuration
2023-06-06 22:53:52
Having no web UI is ludicrous - my new decos will be going back to amazon as not fit for purpose
Options
2023-06-14 22:07:00
Fundamentally missing - so sad
Options
2023-06-15 13:48:01

@TP-Link 

I just browsed through all 12 pages of requests here to bring a Web Config UI back to the DECO devices.

I just bought a BE22000 system containing 3 DE85 units and bought 2 additional X50 Outdoor POE units.

I am currently sitting on $1800 in TP-LINK equipment from Amazon and after a few more days of playing it's all going back.

Why do I have to use this low end consumer app on my phone to configure my network? 

I understand plenty of users want simplicity similar to way the Eero and Google wifi sets up.

Great! Provide that. But don't remove the ability to do more advanced things in a web ui for no reason.

General Issues with DECO products:

• Logging to your cloud platform to manage the system in a mandatory way is crazy.
  • Trying to manage a sizable LAN via a mobile app with Address Reservations, VPN Configs, Port Forwarding is beyond cumbersome
  • I constantly get error messages in the app when trying to save changes
    • I have been forced to manually power cycle the MAIN Node to get the Mobile App to detect/stay connected to it and ultimately save changes
  • Your web interface clearly exists as I have an ARCHER AXE300 which has comparable features to these DE85 units, and an choice was made to disable it on the DECOs.
    • If your target customer is the app user, they aren't going to go looking for the web based ui
    • You alienate more advanced users by disabling a feature for no real reason here on some of your most robust hardware!

Now a general rant as to why I tried the DECO line:

• Initially I purchased the TP-Link AXE300, which is a great router and has a complete configuration web ui.
    • This router and other's in your line have mesh support through your ONEMESH technology
      • ​​​​​​​ONEMESH does not support using additional routers as a MESH NODES
        • ​​​​​​​WHY????????
        • I would deploy 3 AXE300 routers around my home configured like this if it were possible!
          • ​​​​​​​Main Node
            • My Internet is Faster than 1GB and would be connected to the Main Router's 2.5GB port​​​​​​​
            • 10GB Port to 10GB Switch
          • ​​​​​​​SUB NODES
            • All Sub Nodes could be wired backhaul to each other at 10GB through switch
            • All Sub Nodes would have remaining usable network ports with a mix of speed options: 10GB port, 2.5GB port and 4x 1GB ports​​​​​​​
      • UNFORTUNATELY You are limited to using Range Extenders as a ONEMESH NODE, WHY????
        • That current highest end range extender in the ONEMESH line is the RE815XE AXE5400 Mesh Wi-Fi 6E
          • It has a single GIGABIT only Ethernet port
            • IT CANNOT BE USED AS WIRED BACKHAUL
              • EVEN IF THE PORT COULD BE USED AS WIRED BACKHAUL:
                • It would still be very limiting due to Gigabit limit
                • There are no additional ports to plug in other wired devices to it like the ONEMESH capable routers or even the deco products have.

WHY ALL THE TECHNOLOGY STANDARDS FRAGMENTATION?

Why isn't DECO hardware usable in ONEMESH mode?

I am going to order some new ASUS AiMesh stuff and see how that goes because the TP-Link stuff is just a bust at this point without some serious rethinking behind it.

Options
2023-06-23 21:48:58

I really wish tp-link would reconsider their decision to NOT provide a windows interface for configuring the Deco S4. Somewhere along the line, a couple of androids ago, my app for configuring it disappeared... Yes, I know I can probably download it again, review the SIMPLE setup process—which isn't so simple if one only does it once or twice in a lifetime—for setting up setting static DHCP addresses and changing DNS servers manually. Does the cellphone app even do that? See, I will have to go through the SIMPLE process to find out.

At first I thought Apple had purchased tp-link, but then I realized even Apple has to be smarter than this.

Options
2023-06-23 21:57:49
Amen!
Options
2023-06-27 20:14:00

I got rid of this junk. Bye all, do the same.

Options
2023-07-04 19:48:31
What will happen when you ditch my Decos from you app support? Having usable web setup interface makes product more future-proof. I will definitely make this one of my requirements when choosing my next wifi system.
Options
2023-07-05 03:24:39

@TP-Link 

Due to the lack of customization and no web interface Deco line for all my friends/family/ and people that look to me for tech advice will get a hard pass!   This is a huge mistake!  Configuring things on a small screen with no real keyboard is a pain!  Dumbing down high end tech is one of the stupidest things a company can do!  They make setup wizards for a reason, to get the basics setup for non tech people, heck you even on the limited webUI have an advanced section, so you know this is still the case!

Which reminds me I need to go leave a 1 star amazon review, just due to this lack of support you give your users!

Options
2023-07-07 01:34:04
This is a critical miss. May not have purchased the product today if I knew there was no web configuration. Cannot recommend to others (I am an IT VP) without this ability.
Options

Voters 227

+ 223 Voters