Deco always says have interference

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-12 16:06:06
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

Our deco was doing great first few months. We got it so our WiFi would reach out into the garden. Was working fine really fast and great range. Recently it keeps dropping out all the time it's incredibly slow and the range isn't very good. Just trying to load a video takes ages or load Google is very very slow. 

I have used the app it says it needs optimisation so I do that it says its OK but then I check again and it says its needs optimisation again. 

I run checks we only have 2 out of 5 stars and it always says there is medium or high interference, not sure what this means. Tried to turn off 2.4ghz and move to 5 and vice versa but nothing has worked. Deleted the network and set it all up again and hasn't worked. 

Any advice would be welcomed 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco always says have interference
2022-02-15 06:41:45 - last edited 2022-08-17 08:05:10

@Kellys 

Update:

The solution could be found here:

Network aways congested according to the Network Optimization on the Deco app

Thank you very much.

Options
2022-08-16 19:05:57

@TP-Link 

Hi, I have 3* M5 v1.6.0 with high interference. As far as I understand, this issue was raised in 2019 and there still seems to be no response in new firmware resulting in manually setting the channels or automatic avoidance of high interference channels?

Options
2022-08-16 21:42:21

@tojo77 

Hey

The ability to manually set the channel may be both a blessing and a curse, let me try to explain

It sounds like you are in an area with lots of WiFi, likely neighbours have their routers blasting away and taking up airspace.  In the 2.4ghz range you can guarantee this is saturated (it ALWAYS is), 5ghz isnt so bad but can be busy..

The problem with channels setting is, its only temporary!    Most routers have a feature where it searches regularly for a clean channel to move to, lets say for example 48.   You where on 48 but idle when it scanned so it choose your channel as free.  You run the "network optimisation" tool and it scans 48, sees its used now by your neighbour and moves you to 40.

Next day neighbour 3 also moves to 40 as its quiet, neighbour 2 to 36 etc etc..   basically its a moving target

Manually settings channels is a nightmare in most urban setups for that reason, its also the reason your network optimiser is reading BAD all the time.. its only good till one of your neighbours moves again.. take 5 / 6 neighbours and its a skeeet shoot...

Seen this so many times.   The best thing to do is install something like WiFi Analyser on an android device and scan the 5ghz range (ignore 2.4, its impossible to work with).   See what channel you are on and test this over a few days recording the neighbours etc.   If you see one channel that is "free" a lot run optimiser a few times till it jumps to that channel.  

Honestly, manual selection likely isnt going to be the holy grail here.   Some dynamic channel move might be a good idea however!

Options