Can I plug a switch to the ethernet backhaul port and connect other equipment?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-13 04:14:09

Hi,

I have two Deco M9+, I am using them to provide Wi-Fi to my 150m² apartment, and everything is working great. However, I want to wire some of the equipment on the house (PS5, computers) to improve network throughput. I was using one computer plugged to the backhaul port of the main Deco unit, and everything was working great. I thought I could plug a Gigabit switch (an old TL-SG105) to the backhaul port and then plug all the equipment on the switch. I was hoping this would allow me to control all the equipments from the Deco app. However, it turns out that, as lomg as plug more than one equipment to the switch, they all stop connecting to the internet -- they can't even get an IP.

Was this supposed to work, and there is some problem with the switch? Or isn't this how the backhaul port is suppose to be used?

For the record: the same equipment work if connected directly to the internet provider modem.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Can I plug a switch to the ethernet backhaul port and connect other equipment?
2022-03-14 01:35:09

@RogueLeader 

Hi,it should work as what you intended and the behavior is quite unexpected.

Can i have a full picture of your network layout from the ISP modem router to the wired clients connected to the switch?

(Please help me mark out the model number of the ISP router if possible.)

And I believe Deco is on wireless router mode?

Would there devices work if manually set up static IP addresses on them?

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:Can I plug a switch to the ethernet backhaul port and connect other equipment?
2022-03-14 22:36:00 - last edited 2022-03-15 21:22:44

Hi @David-TP , thanks for reaching out.

Here's how I tried to connect everything:

With only one equipment connected to the switch, it worked just fine (in fact, I have always used it this way having only a PC connected). However, as soon as I plugged the second device, none of them could connect anymore -- not even acquire an IP address. I must say I have never actually tried connecting more than one device to the switch, so it could be it is faulty.

I don't know how to check if the main Deco is on router mode, how do I do that? What I can say is that the ISP router is not on bridge mode, but its wi-fi is turned off.

I did not test assigning static IPs to the devices.

The way everything is configured right now, and working, is the PS5 and two notebooks are connected directly to the eth2-4 ports on the ISP router.

Options
2022-03-16 08:00:13

@RogueLeader 

Thank you very much for the update.

I would like to follow up on your case via email and please check whether you could get my email.

As for the operation mode, please go to Deco APP>More>Advanced>Operation mode to check the current working mode.

At the same time, could you please help me run a simple test:

1.remove the Deco from the network and connect the switch directly to one of the Ethernet port of ISP CH8568, then connect other wired devices to the switch and check whether they are all working properly.

Thank you again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 381

Replies: 3

Related Articles