Firmware upgrade TD-W8961ND

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-16 17:40:19 - last edited 2022-03-16 17:44:34
Model: TD-W8961N  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I've an issue with TD-W8961ND while upgrading its firmware, gives an error, I've been asking from official TP-Link support but they are unable to solve this issue, Please if you guys can help me , Please see files attached to this thread.

Please note that router firmware in italian language, I do not understand this language.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Firmware upgrade TD-W8961ND
2022-03-17 00:20:05
... why do you have the router in the Italian language? now I don't remember if there is the possibility to change the language in the menu, if there is the possibility to do so you will find the language drop-down menu, it would be much easier for you, however if you need a translation please ask not c 'and' problem ... in any case, the written in red says that "the failure to update is due to an error" but does not specify what kind of error it is.
Options
2022-03-17 03:49:56

@JamesReynolds welcome to the community.

I do have the same inquiry as Patsy and you could have a check of the label on TD-W8961ND to see whether the label indicated "IT" or "EU"?

Normally for the EU version, the language of web UI should be English.

As for the firmware version, I see you choose V3 as the hardware and since 8961ND had been end of life for quite a while, the latest firmware that could be found on the official website is TD-W8961ND_V3_150707. So may I know why you want to update the firmware and how long have you had the modem?

By the way, what is your current firmware version?

Thank you.

Options
2022-03-17 08:55:57

@David-TP 

Hello David,

Thanks for your time, yeah its TD-W8961ND (IT).

please have a look on screenshot.

Options
2022-03-17 12:03:24

@David-TP 

Hello,
my friend bought this from Italy, & i got from him , i m in Romania , router has italian language which i cant change also WDS feature is missing , i want to use it as bridge , annoying thing is language which i dont understand and yeah I've tried all possible basic ways to update firmware but no success.
Options
2022-03-18 08:39:31

@JamesReynolds 

Thank you very much for the update.

Actually I see your current firmware is newer than the firmware both on Global and IT sites and I think you might have a local customized firmware version with build-in Italian language .

For the "bridge" here, do you tend to wirelessly connect TD-W8961ND to your main wireless router?

And the following link might help you:https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/327/

Since WDS bridge required a high level of compatibility and it is hard to guarantee the performance when the main host and bridged router are from different brands.

If possible, you could have a look at our wireless range extenders:

https://www.tp-link.com/home-networking/range-extender/

Options
2022-03-19 17:03:49

@David-TP

Hello David,

Thanks for ur reply, before writing here I've contacted TP-Link Romania & Global support teams, both were unable to solve this issue.

I've tried that link before but its useless because there is no way I can enter WDS key as WDS key box is missing.

Do u have any idea how to do tftp , I've watched a tutorial but couldn't connect my router, Maybe it has different static IP or recovery IP , if you could help me with how to flash firmware through tftp or any other way.

Thank you.

Options
2022-03-20 22:54:30
... I see the box to activate the WDS, obviously if you are not connected you cannot even configure it ... I do not think however that TP-Link will help you to flash the modem via TFTP, they are very complex procedures and require knowledge of programming, in addition to voiding your warranty if it still exists, I suggest you see some good tutorials on Youtube to solve the problem given the complexity! Are you sure that the model you have connects only to traditional ADSL, are you sure you only have traditional ADSL and not VDSL? because in that case it is not the modem that is not working, it is the wrong modem for the VDSL!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1070

Replies: 7

Related Articles