Low security even though WPA2-PSK/AES

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-21 00:14:32
Model: Archer C59  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.01

Two different routers, this one and an  AC 1700 when connected to on an iOS device, IOS displays the weak security message and says that TKIP is being used. Both are set to WPA2-PSK/AES. 

Options
6 Reply
Re:Low security even though WPA2-PSK/AES
2022-04-21 03:21:32

@jkhiwtfrtytyp 

Hello, I would suggest you check and update the router firmware to the latest version first, which can be found here:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-c59/v2/#Firmware

Then check and ensure the wireless security settings are WPA2-PSK, AES, reboot the router one more time once you modified the settings, forget the network on the iOS devices, then reconnect to the network by manually type in the password to confirm if the security warning will be gone.

Options
2022-04-21 11:00:59

@Kevin_Z Thank you. Did as you suggested, unchanged. Also I couldn't see this post in the forum so I created a new one that DOES show up then I realized I could use the email link to reply to this one. Weird stuff. 

Options
2022-04-22 08:03:52

@jkhiwtfrtytyp 

Be aware we have different community sites, and this is for global. Are you logging into the US community? You will not find this post there.

Back to the low-security concern, can you confirm if you can observe the broadcasted signal and what is the security type by running some Wi-Fi analyzer software on the phone or laptop? You can also refer to this story to see if you can figure it out with any of the suggestions there:

About Privacy and Security Warnings on iOS

Options
2022-04-22 13:52:43

@Kevin_Z Thanks for the doc. I looked at it and unfortunately either I'm not understanding it properly or I've already done the required steps to allegedly fix the problem.The doc specifies to set WPA/WPA2 Personal/ AES, which as you can see, I've already set.  It also says to upgrade to the latest firmware, and when I click on the button in the router to check for upgrades it says I'm current. 

Options
2022-04-22 17:39:44

@Kevin_Z Additional question. I check for wifi diag software. I tried one program but while it allegedly provided data re: security it didn't go deep, just mentioned WPA2/PSK. The other apps I looked which seemed viable were $40 and up. Do you have any recomendations based on something you've tried? Thanks. 

Options
2022-04-22 18:56:36

@jkhiwtfrtytyp 

Hi,

I can't help with Apple products, but in case you own a Windows PC that has WiFi I recommend "WifiInfoView" from "NirSoft", because it is a small download and can be run without installation.

In case you own an Android device I recommend the app "WiFi Analyzer" from "VREM Software". (need to tap on a SSID to show more details)

Both software are free of charge.

By the way, what you are looking for is more commonly known as "WPA2-PSK-CCMP". TP-Link refers to CCMP as "AES", which is the encryption standard that is used in the CCMP protocol.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 623

Replies: 6