Intermittent Internet Loss

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-14 13:38:46
Model: Archer VR400  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Latest

My Archer is connected . Generally works ok but drops connection anything between 2 and 12 day intervals. The most common alert is mobiles lose internet connection and on inspecting the Archer the DSL light is off (all other elevent lights are on but sometimes the 2.4ghz wifi light is off too).  A re-boot fixes it but never for very long.  Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this please?  As far as I am aware I have the ISP specified settings for VDSL2 set up, and when it's working it works very well.  The most recent firmware for the this model is installed.  The only non-standard I have is that w-fi mac address filtering is active.  The router allocates IP's dynamically.  On the network side I have an HP printer, Hive Hub, WDCloud, Sonos and various I-phones attached (plus the PC of course).  I'd love to be able to switch it on and leave it alone for more than  a few days at a time without rebooting it. Thanks

Options
6 Reply
Re:Intermittent Internet Loss
2022-05-27 02:55:31

@Roy_D 

Thank you very much for the feedback.

May I know how long have you had Archer VR400 V1 since I noticed its latest firmware was 2016-06-13 and the version was quite old?

When the internet is disconnected, if the DSL light turned off as well, Have you ever contacted the ISP to check the DSL service quality?

Best regards.

Options
2022-05-29 18:10:17

@David-TP 

Thanks for the response.  Yes I have had this router a long time.  As far as I can see it is a Version 1 model and the firmware build is Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v0070.0 Build 160613 Rel.40404n - which seems to be the only one on the TP-link site for this model.  If there is a more recent firmware for this device, please tell me where to find it.

I have not spoken to EE (my provider) as the manifestation of the problem is usually that I get an email to say my Hive device has gone off-line.   When I check the Archer device, the DSL light is usually off.  A quick reboot (power off & on again) restores the connection, so if it is a problem with the provider, it doesn't last very long, which is why I suspect the modem/router as being the issue. 

I have read that some users have experienced issues with this router being used in tandem with a TP link TL-WR710N, I have one of those being used in Client mode to feed signal to a TV and a Hard Drive recorder.  The TL-WR710N is plugged in to a standby power device controlled by the TV so when the TV is off, so is the TL-WR710N.  When the TV is powered on, the TL-WR710N will get an IP from the router (which allocates IP addresses dynamically).  However, the loss of internet connection doesn't appear to coincide with activity powering on, or off,  the TV and TL-WR710N so I doubt it is a factor.  Does that provide any clues ?

If it helps, my full setup is that I have 4 devices connected to the router (PC, Hive and a BT wifi via mains extender, plus a Netgear switch that connects my hard drive storage and a network printer (HP Laserjet pro).  The wifi extender sender has 3 receivers in various locations, two of which are wired to Sonos Speakers and the third connects to a remote PC. I have tried disconnecting various devices but still have the intermittent problem when that happens, so again, I'm not convinced the other devices are causing issues.  

Finally, this is quite an old device.  I have EE fibre plus for internet.  Can you recommend a replacement from your range that would do the same job?

Thanks. 

Options
2022-05-31 11:17:41

@Roy_D 

Thanks for the update.

Since the DSL light on the VR400 would also turn off, It is more like the hardware issue of VR400 or the bad DSL quality from the service provide, TL-WR710N would not be the problem.

As for the BT WiFi extenders, are they wireless powerline adapters?

Currently, supposing the DSL service is solid, Archer VR400 might have broken hardware and you could replace it with the latest VR400 v3, or VR6100 v3, and Archer VR2100.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-05-31 12:31:28

@David-TP 

Hello - thank you for your reply.  Re your question the wifi extenders are the following:-

BT Mini Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 600 Multi Kit with wired AV600 Powerline and N150 Wi-Fi

Thanks for the recommendations, although I am a bit reluctant to buy a new device without  more concrete evidence that the Archer is at fault. Ironically, I've not had a drop out since our last exchange.  Assuming it does happen again, is there anything I can check on the router before re-booting it that would assist with a diagnosis?

Possibly clutching at straws but could  the following have any bearing on the issue please?

1. Is it possible that the DSL filters could be contributing to this problem?.  I have tried the EE 17070 call and tested for a silent line, which proved the line was quiet(no noisy crackling or hums).
  2. Could a failing DSL cable connecting the modem / router to the DSL filter cause this sort of issue?
  3. I have noted is that the outer case top, just in front of the cenral antenna (above the TP-Link logo) gets quite warm compared to the rest of the case.  Is that normal?

Thanks.

Options
2022-06-01 03:18:20

@Roy_D Thanks for the update. 

1. Is it possible that the DSL filters could be contributing to this problem?.  I have tried the EE 17070 call and tested for a silent line, which proved the line was quiet(no noisy crackling or hums).
  2. Could a failing DSL cable connecting the modem / router to the DSL filter cause this sort of issue?
  3. I have noted is that the outer case top, just in front of the cenral antenna (above the TP-Link logo) gets quite warm compared to the rest of the case.  Is that normal?

A broken DSL cable or aging DSL filter could cause an unstable connection and you could remove the DSL splitter temporarily and test the DSL connection with a new DSL cable.

As for the warm spot, I think it might be near the processor. It is normal because the Wi-Fi router is running 24/7 which will make it keep generating heat. But it shouldn't be too hot that you can't touch it for more than a couple of seconds.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-06-15 10:48:29

@David-TP 

Hello,

I have now removed the Archer 1200 from my set up and re-installed the EE broadband router supplied.  That was a week ago, and so far I have had no repetition of the drop outs I was experiencing (anything from 1 to 5 days before havng to reboot the router).   I haven't changed any DSL filters or cables connecting the devices.  This rather points to the Archer as being the culprit, but it could be that I have a wrong setting somewhere.

Attached are screen shots taken from the EE router setup pages. You can't get at a lot, but here's what can be seen / changed.  The settings shown are the "as is".

I have struggled to find equivalent in the Archer for some of them - probably just my lack of knowledge on terminology.  ULA, DMZ, UPnP for example.  This is a last ditch attempt at getting the Archer working.  If that fails I'm left with buying a new one I guess?

Thanks for your help.

File:
EESmartHub-Settings-partial.docxDownload
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 260

Replies: 6