Votes

Ability to assign IP reservations to addresses outside of DHCP pool, but still within the subnet

This repeated request has been merged into the main thread [Feature Request] Address Reservations can only be added for devices currently on the network. Please vote on the main thread.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

Ability to assign IP reservations to addresses outside of DHCP pool, but still within the subnet

This repeated request has been merged into the main thread [Feature Request] Address Reservations can only be added for devices currently on the network. Please vote on the main thread.
This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-17 18:05:32 - last edited 2022-11-03 11:00:53

So I have a 10.0.0.0/16 subnet with the DHCP server handing out IPs in the 10.0.0.x range.

I would like to configure IP reservations outside of the DHCP range that are still within the subnet, however the router refuses.

Perhaps this is a bug, but it would be nice for organizational purposes to put certain kinds of devices in their own IP segments.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Ability to assign IP reservations to addresses outside of DHCP pool, but still within the subnet
2022-05-18 06:43:11

@DanTheMan827 

Nice to see you again.

Currently, Address reservation could only be set for the devices in the clients list.

So if the IP is not within the DHCP IP address pool, it will not be assigned to the client so that you might not see it in the clients list and set it up for address reservation.

Maybe allowing manually setting up IP address/MAC address for address reservation/port forwarding would be what we need.

[Feature Request] Address Reservations can only be added for devices currently on the network

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Ability to assign IP reservations to addresses outside of DHCP pool, but still within the subnet
2022-05-18 16:41:34

@David-TP Something between completely manual and the current reservation would work nicely.

On a Ubiquiti Unifi router for example, I can add a DHCP reservation and change the IP to any IP not currently taken but within the subnet range, and on the next connection the device would grab the new IP.

Options
2022-07-10 19:52:14

@DanTheMan827 

+1 on this.

I just changed from Google Wifi where I had my static IP devices in a seperate segment of the subnet to the the DHCP server range  i.e .50- 99, with DHCP from .100 - 250.  Always did this when I manually setup my own routers over the years, makes it simple to see which devices have static IPs and no risk of duplicate address allocation during setup.

No reason it can't be done, other than "address reservation can only be done for currenly connected devices", which is in itself a bizarre limitation.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 776

Replies: 3