Printer connects to extender in preference to router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-29 10:13:47 - last edited 2022-05-30 00:51:27
Model: TL-PA7017 KIT  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: 1.0.0

I have a cannon printer , 2ft away from router but it insists on connecting to the range extender 30 ft away resulting in 

a non functional WiFi strength .

I can set the printer back to the router , all is good , but after a turn off it reverts to extender .

On advice from Canon I changed the extender channel to a higher number than the printers .

That worked briefly then it reverted again .

Canon did hint at changing the SSID on the extender , but in the past that causes minor hassles with

some devices not switching seamlessly between the networks if you move around in the house .

Any suggestions please .

Official support says its for Canon the sort out .( They are having a think about it ) 

Thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:Printer connects to extender in preference to router
2022-06-01 06:40:40 - last edited 2022-06-01 06:45:43

Hello   @Sicog 

As the workaround, you may turn off router & extender, boot up router first, wait cannon connect to wifi router first, then turn on the extender. 

You may also check if cannon printer has any wifi roaming settings, adjust it and make it less likely to roam. 

Or for printer stability, would you consider a wired connection for the printer? 

Do you own a tp-link range extender? How to find the model number of your TP-Link device?

Options
Re:Printer connects to extender in preference to router
2022-06-01 19:45:23

Problem solved , printer looks for lowest channel number so assigning the router a lower 2.4 GHz channel sorted it .Otherwise I would have had to give the power line extender a different SSID which cause issues with old iPad not connecting to strongest signal when moving around.

Sicog wrote

I have a cannon printer , 2ft away from router but it insists on connecting to the range extender 30 ft away resulting in 

a non functional WiFi strength .

I can set the printer back to the router , all is good , but after a turn off it reverts to extender .

On advice from Canon I changed the extender channel to a higher number than the printers .

That worked briefly then it reverted again .

Canon did hint at changing the SSID on the extender , but in the past that causes minor hassles with

some devices not switching seamlessly between the networks if you move around in the house .

Any suggestions please .

Official support says its for Canon the sort out .( They are having a think about it ) 

Thanks

@Sicog 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 208

Replies: 2