X73-DSL No facility to limit bandwidth

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-01 10:55:42
Model: Deco X73-DSL  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 20211231 Rel. 42213

Hi

I have just purchased the X73-DSL to replace my Archer VR2800 (Connected to a Deco X20), in comparison to the X20 interface the X73 is a lot more basic and homeshield doesn't really improve the controls. My problem is I have Sky Q and whenever I download a from the on demand service it consumes my entire bandwidth, when I was using the Archer VR2800 interface I was able to limit the amount of bandwidth used by Sky Q according to it's MAC Address. Is there anyway I can do this with the X73-DSL? And if not are there any plans to introduce the feature in and upcoming firmware update?

Otherwise I guess I'll end up returning the X73 as it doesn't really have any great features other than replacing two devices.

Options
5 Reply
Re:X73-DSL No facility to limit bandwidth
2022-06-02 06:30:22

@TheSpartan 

Thank you very much for the feedback.

I see there is a plan to limit the bandwidth of the whole guest network but I haven't seen it planned to limit the bandwidth of a specific device.

For the current issue, you have "whenever I download a from the on-demand service it consumes my entire bandwidth" when it starts what would happen to other clients? Are they offline or too slow to open any other sites?

It is not supposed to happen on Deco X73-DSL and if you could like to provide more details, I am sure the engineers could provide some suggestions for us.

Best regards.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-06-02 11:29:56

Hi @David-TP

When I use the SkyQ on demand service to download an episode of a series other devices seem to get dropped from the network as the entire bandwidth is consumed. There is Sky Booster4 box connected via Ethernet to the X73 as the SkyQ mesh that SkyQ uses clash with the TP-Link mesh network. This is well documented on the BSkyB forums and this is BSkyB's recommended approach to fix that issue. Why is it that the ability to limit bandwidth by MAC address was previously available on router's like the Archer VR2800 but not the X73-DSL? You would you have more features on a newer router not less?

Options
2022-06-07 03:15:32

@TheSpartan 

Thank you very much for the update.

I have consulted your case with the senior engineers and they said even without a bandwidth limit, Deco should allocate the bandwidth properly.

In this way, I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers for more advice and could you please help me confirm the following information:

1. How much internet bandwidth you have subscribed from the internet provider?

2. Have you tried to go to HomeSheild>QoS and enable "high priority" for the rest of the devices, except the Sky Q booster box to see whether it helps properly allocate the bandwidth?

Wait for your reply.

Best regard.

Options
2022-06-08 10:28:07

Hi @David-TP 

So I have 72mbps download from my service provider and that's currently what I get inside my home as I'm ver close to the exchange and I have not done what you have mentioned in point 2. However I discovered something more startling than the original point I have raised, yesterday I was on a zoom call with a colleague and the laptop I'm using has been assigned as priority in QoS on the X73. During the call I connected my mobile phone to the wireless and the zoom call quality began to get a bit poor, I opened the Deco app on my phone and could see the my mobile phone that is not set as a priority device was consuming the majority of my bandwidth as it was updating apps in Google play and automatically downloading music and playlists. How is this allowed to happen? According to the Deco app the download speeds were reaching 70mbps+ on my mobile phone which caused my zoom call to freeze.

Options
2022-06-09 05:45:27

@TheSpartan 

Thank you very much for the update.

I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers and please check the email for further suggestions.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 468

Replies: 5

Related Articles