Wifi Roaming doesn't work seamlessly when WPA2/WPA3 mode is enabled on RE450 V4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-16 08:15:10 - last edited 2022-06-29 00:45:53
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.10 Build 211207 Rel.62804n

So, there was a firmware update two weeks ago for RE450 V4 to support WPA3 encryption.

My router is an AX10 that supports OneMesh.

Prior to the update, i had WPA2 enabled and seamless roaming was working fine between the router and extender.

After the update, i switched to WPA2/WPA3 mode, and now wifi roaming isn't as seamless as before, like when moving from router to extender, my device keeps connecting to the router even though it supports WPA3.

I don't know what is the source of the problem.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Wifi Roaming doesn't work seamlessly when WPA2/WPA3 mode is enabled on RE450 V4
2022-06-17 02:11:47 - last edited 2022-06-19 20:09:46

Hello @ramzik99 

Basically, whether to do Wifi roaming or when is a behavior of the Wifi network client device itself, please check QA here that could help explain the situation: 

Q11. Why the Wi-Fi device is not always connected to AP with the strongest Wi-Fi signal or nearest AP in a OneMesh network?

You could also test a different mobile network in Wi-Fi roaming, like IOS mobile device which could do better in Wifi roaming.

To see if it is related to WPA3, you could set router to WPA/WPA2-AES encryption, factory reset the extender and reinstall it, when router use WPA2 encryption, could the network device do Wi-Fi roaming like before?  If still the same, Can I know what the model device that is inclined to connect to Wifi of router? 

Options
Re:Wifi Roaming doesn't work seamlessly when WPA2/WPA3 mode is enabled on RE450 V4
2022-06-17 06:49:16

@ramzik99 

When using WPA2 roaming works fine

Options
2022-06-21 02:29:54

Hello   @ramzik99 

Thank you for the reply, glad to may I know what mobile device did you test, and it's Android or IOS version?  

To see if it related to certain network client behavior, you could also test a different device, like an IOS device if you got one.

Make sure OneMesh & Smart Connect are Enabled. 

If still the same, to look into that further, can you help  you record the videos of roaming when use WPA2/ WPA3 separately on router when walk from place A to place B (same locations), and share the photos of security settings on router at that time, thank you. 

Options
2022-06-22 09:24:20

@Solla-topee it seams that all new devices that support WPA3 went through the same issue, they don't roam seamlessly between the router and client.

i am now using WPA2 only mode which works well 

Options
2022-06-24 03:48:16

Hello  @ramzik99 

Thank you for doing more test.  To see what happened clearly, can you help take the videos showing the Wi-Fi roaming status? For example, when router is on WPA2, test roaming from Locate A to Location B and help take a video; Then set to WPA3 do the same test and help get the video. 

It is recommended to also test a different mobile device like IOS device if you got one. 

May I know the model of mobile device that you have tested and its OS? And can you share the photo of router security settings and router firmware. Thank you. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 725

Replies: 5