Odd networking issue with Thinkpad ethernet and Archer VR2100

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-22 09:56:23
Model: Archer VR2100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.0 0.9.1 v009e.0 Build 201122 Rel.72659n

Hi all, I'm seeing a somewhat strange behaviour with one of the machines in my network lately which could potentially be related to the router (as well)?

It's a Thinkpad X1 connected to one of the routers' ethernet ports via the breakout connector.

Problem is, the router is not issuing IP addresses to the laptop any more, nor routing to the internet for it, nor doing DNS resolution.

The physical connection works: when configuring the IP manually on the laptop, I can talk to other machines on the wired link just fine.

I have other machines connected via ethernet, and they all work fine, DHCP, routing, all. It's just this laptop. Switching ethernet ports on the router around had no effect.

Not an OS issue either: dual booted the laptop into Linux, same problem.

Funny thing is, when the IP is set manually, the laptop is showing up on the router's client list. So the router must at least see some packets.

The same laptop connects wirelessly to the router without any problems whatsoever.

Nothing in the router log that would get me any further. I'm a bit at a loss here, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Odd networking issue with Thinkpad ethernet and Archer VR2100
2022-06-22 12:12:20

@splenetic 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

"It's a Thinkpad X1 connected to one of the routers' ethernet ports via the breakout connector", the "breakout connector" here, you mean the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter, right?

When you manually set up IP addresses on the Thinkpad, what happened when you tried to ping the gateway as well as the Google DNS-8.8.8.8?

(Can I have some pictures?)

On the VR2100, have you set up any access control or Mac filtering on the VR2100?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards.

Options
2022-06-22 13:20:38

@David-TP 

Thanks for your response.

The TB adapter, yes not the most accurate term sorry, I tend to think of TB as a PCIe breakout :-)

I had tried both, but the ping worked neither for the router (gateway) nor for the google DNS or any other external IP.

If I fire up Wireshark on the other machine connected via ethernet, I can see the DHCP broadcasts going out from the laptop when DHCP is active. Status leds on the adapter are clearly in sync with any current requests.

Any traffic within the ethernet segment spanned by the VR2100's ethernet switch seems to flow 100% as expected. But it's as if the VR2100's firmware now ignores any ethernet frames coming from the Laptop.

There is no access control or MAC filtering active on the VR2100. Up until recently, this simple little setup of mine worked like a charm. I can't really pinpoint when and why it started playing up.

Happy to supply screenshots etc, anything specific?

Cheers.

David-TP wrote

@splenetic 

"It's a Thinkpad X1 connected to one of the routers' ethernet ports via the breakout connector", the "breakout connector" here, you mean the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter, right?

When you manually set up IP addresses on the Thinkpad, what happened when you tried to ping the gateway as well as the Google DNS-8.8.8.8?

(Can I have some pictures?)

On the VR2100, have you set up any access control or Mac filtering on the VR2100?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards.

Options
2022-06-24 09:50:17

@splenetic 

I see there is some feedback about the thunderbolt  failure about ThinkPad and have you ever tried a USB-to-Ethernet adapter to see whether the EThernet connection worked or not?

By the way, have you ever tried to connect the ThinkPad to any other network connections via a TB adapter?

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 228

Replies: 3