Deco M4R parental control blocks wrong devices

Deco M4R parental control blocks wrong devices

Deco M4R parental control blocks wrong devices
Deco M4R parental control blocks wrong devices
2022-06-27 18:11:23
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.4 Build 20220113 Rel. 38349

Hi,

 

I got the issue multiple times in the last years where I pause a specific parental profile, and some devices not in the profile get paused. I validated the MAC address of the paused device against the list of devices linked to the profile, and I can say without any doubt that it shouldn't be blocked. Each time I have a device not getting internet for an unknown reason, I have to unpause every profile, and/or disable all time-based control, to get back the internet on my device. It's like the router is internally mixing MAC addresses and/or names. When checking the devices list in a profile, MAC addresses seem fine, but since wrong devices are being affected, it means that the information seen in the mobile application is out-of-sync with what the router really applies rules on.

Based on this old thread, the problem exists on multiple Deco models for more than 2 years, and has never been fixed: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/180572

I posted a long time ago about the laggy Deco Android application on its really bad async implementation and horrible user experience, but now that it simply displays invalid information and starts applying random parental rules, I can no longer trust this hardware anymore to rule my home network. I waited for firmware updates to fix these important issues, but it looks like old devices are simply ignored. That's a shame. I'm posting here to revive an issue that should still be in the top priority list, but I really doubt I'll get a real solution soon.

 

I have 3 Deco M4R devices wired together to deliver WIFI to each of my 3 floors house. I bought this 3 nodes kit many years ago. I control these devices through the Android application on my phone.

 

 

Carl

  2      
  2      
#1
Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M4R parental control blocks wrong devices
2022-06-28 08:18:03

  @cduranleau 

Hi, were you able to see this issue occur frequently on some devices?

If yes, can I have the model number of this device?

There is a beta firmware for Deco M4 in the private message and please install this beta firmware first,

Later when the same issue started again, please help me run the following test:

1. When the device that is not on the paused parental control profile list got no internet, please check whether all the websites are not accessible or just several websites?

2. Please clear the browsing caches and access in Incognito Mode and test again.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

 

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

 

Wi-Fi 7 Launch Replay: https://www.tp-link.com/us/wifi7/event | Leave me a message with any Urgent Requests, or Simply Feel Left Out
  0  
  0  
#2
Options
Re:Deco M4R parental control blocks wrong devices
2022-06-28 11:39:01

  @David-TP 

Actually, I've seen the problem with multiple devices. The only thing I can say is that all devices wrongly affected by a parental control had been part of a profile in the past, or were part of another profile not restricted at this time. I think It almost always occurs few hours/days after adding or updating parental control profiles. As I said, it really looks like the problem is in the synchronisation of profiles with the router. The last time it occurred, my daughter's phone lost the internet after I added multiple devices to a profile, and then pause it. My daughter's phone had been in another profile before, but I deleted this profile few weeks ago.

 

I also had the problem when a profile paused with a bed time schedule was also pausing devices from another profile. At this time, I had to test every setting to finally disable all bed time schedules. Really disappointing. I think these bed time settings had been added/updated few days before the problem occurred.

 

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

 

Carl

  0  
  0  
#3
Options