Separate SSIDs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Separate SSIDs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Separate SSIDs
Separate SSIDs
2022-06-29 02:27:33
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I really could use the option of having separate SSIDs  for the 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands, Some devices will only talk on the 2.4Ghz  band but for other devices this band is unstable because of interference from other household devices etc. and so must be connected on the 5GHz band. Having separate SSIDs would allow be to specify which band each device should connect to.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Separate SSIDs
2022-06-29 06:11:16

@RBAMilton 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

So far, there is stilll no plan to support separate SSIDs.

For more details, please refer to this link:

Does Deco support separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs?

Best regards.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-06-29 07:40:11
Thanks for the prompt reply. Specifically my problem and why I want separate SSIDs is a follows: I initially installed Deco M5s with both 2.4 and 5GHz enabled. Whenever I operate a particular appliance, the wifi feed to the box supplying subscription media services suffers interference and stops working. (Foxtel subscription services). Normal services are resumed when the offending device is turned off. The subscription service device talks both 2.4 and 5Ghz but obviously it connected to the 2.4Ghz service. I changed the Deco to run 5Ghz only and the problem goes away and everything works as it should and no interference occurs. EXCEPT that I have a robotic pool cleaner which wants/needs to talk to the cloud and it only talks 2.4Ghz so it no longer works. Thus I want separate SSIDs so I can connect devices to the band which works best - actually 3 SSIDs would be nice 2.4Ghz only, 5Ghz only and 2.4/5Ghz (as at present) for the default. (The current workaround is as suggested by others - start in 5GHz only connect the subscription box which then connects on 5GHz; then change the network so that both 2.4 and 5GHz are running and all seems OK and everything else works on whatever band they take a liking to - until something causes the M5s to power off.) Thanks.
Options
2022-06-29 12:15:55

@RBAMilton 

There is another workaround, the one that I use at my house. Enable Guest Network with different SSID, run Main Network on 5GHz only, Guest Network on 2.4GHz only. Connect devices that can't handle 5GHz to Guest Network. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 372

Replies: 3

Related Articles