VPN client on AX55 - slow performance

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-22 06:42:13 - last edited 2023-03-29 05:37:31
Tags: #VPN
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Latest

Hi all 

I just bought this router to use the vpn function for my Xbox.

when using OpenVPN on the router and performing a speed test (via iPhone) I get about 10Mbps down. When I use the vpn app on my phone I get a lot greater. 

is there any way to configure the router to get better throughput on vpn or do I need another router?

this router has a dual core and the AX20 has quad core so is that one better?

also considering sending this back and getting an ASUS RT-AX86U

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:VPN client on AX55 - slow performance -Solution
2023-03-29 05:37:24 - last edited 2023-03-29 05:38:29

Hello @Alpha_numbers  @charly.be  @DiskCrasher  @dinfo  @nasosto 

Thank you very much for the detailed feedback in regard to the WireGuard VPN Client speed issue you are experiencing.

I'm excited to inform you that our developers provided a new beta firmware for AX55, which is expected to improve the WireGuard VPN performance. I've just updated the download link in my original post.

Please you may install this new beta version on your AX55 to observe and confirm if it can give you a better connectivity speed when using the WireGuard VPN.

New WireGuard Beta Firmware for Archer AX55

Recommended Solution
Options
35 Reply
Re:VPN client on AX55 - slow performance
2022-07-25 07:27:42

Hello @Alpha_numbers 

Hello, I have previously tried to explain to Memjunk in the below thread that the VPN Client connection speed cannot be as good as the internet speed when there is no VPN connection, please check:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/270268?replyId=1015342

BTW, what is the speed you can get when using the VPN app on your phone?

If you want to connect to the VPN server only on some specific client devices, I would suggest you disable the VPN connection for those who don't need it on the AX55 web GUI to get a better speed as expected.

Options
2022-07-25 07:55:24

@Kevin_Z 

Hello

I get the same speed as my internet when using my iPhone.

I have since sent the TP Link back and I bought the Flint router from GL.iNet which gives me great throughput using Wireguard.

Its a very good device with a lot of free benefits.

Options
2022-07-27 11:40:54

@Alpha_numbers 

Glad to hear you get the desired speed when using the Flint router from GL.iNet connecting to WireGuard VPN. We also forward and suggest adding WireGuard VPN support on the TP-Link routers, while that may take some time, I hope others may benefit from that in the future.

Options
2022-08-27 17:50:16

@Alpha_numbers I'm also capped at 10mbps when using the VPN client on the AX55. If I keep only one device in the list, it can go up to 20mbps but that's the max.

The CPU of the router is capping at 60% usage during the speedtest.

Options
2022-10-01 02:53:40

@Alpha_numbers My ISP provides 200Mbps downlink which I see when not using VPN. When I enable OpenVPN in the router throughput drops to 20Mbps. That's unacceptable.

Options
2022-10-01 06:40:54

@Alpha_numbers sadly, 10mbps is the max using openVPN protocol... If VPN is important for you, it is better for you to change but I don't know what the AX20 is capable of.

Options
2023-02-18 20:22:18

@Alpha_numbers 

- I have 2 routers, AX20 and AX55, both connected to the same modem via cable.

- I have created an OpenVPN Client connection using the same ovpn configuration file on both routers

- My internet line is a 50Mpbs

Testing the internet speed I have the following results:

OpenVPN disconeccted
Both routers reach around 41 Mbps

Open VPN connected

AX20: 40 Mbps

AX55:   6 Mbps................Yes! 6 Mbps maximum!

I';ve tried to factory reset AX55, using different configuration files, etc, etc, etc, BUT NO LUCK. When AX55 is connected as an OpenVPN Client to any surfshark server the internet speed drops from 41 down to 6 Mbps!!!!

What TP-Link has to say about this?? is this specific AX55 malfunctioning and I should claim a return-replacement??

Waiting... 

Options
2023-02-18 21:10:21
Just get another router
Options
2023-02-18 21:19:03

Alpha_numbers wrote

Just get another router

@Alpha_numbers 

I have already done this. Thanks

Options
2023-02-20 07:44:42

dinfo wrote

@Alpha_numbers 

- I have 2 routers, AX20 and AX55, both connected to the same modem via cable.

- I have created an OpenVPN Client connection using the same ovpn configuration file on both routers

- My internet line is a 50Mpbs

Testing the internet speed I have the following results:

OpenVPN disconeccted
Both routers reach around 41 Mbps

Open VPN connected

AX20: 40 Mbps

AX55:   6 Mbps................Yes! 6 Mbps maximum!

I';ve tried to factory reset AX55, using different configuration files, etc, etc, etc, BUT NO LUCK. When AX55 is connected as an OpenVPN Client to any surfshark server the internet speed drops from 41 down to 6 Mbps!!!!

What TP-Link has to say about this?? is this specific AX55 malfunctioning and I should claim a return-replacement??

Waiting... 

Hello @dinfo 

Archer AX55 has added support for WireGuard VPN, which I believe will speed up the VPN connection speed between the server and the client.

Please download and install the early release firmware we provided here in the following thread, then let me know if the VPN Client speed is better:

WireGuard VPN Firmware for Archer AX55

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8692

Replies: 35

Tags

Related Articles