Port forwarding not working and WAN IP and external IP different

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-31 09:36:38
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello!

I am trying to set up port forwarding and it not able to make it up and running. 

Below steps have been followed and checked. 

The port is working within the local network ( I can access the application from another device in same network)

The windows firewall rule is enabled. 

Address reservation and virtual server is set up with my 192.168** IP address which hosts the application.

Only thing I am not able to understand is why the WAN IP on my router is not matching when compared with the IP checked online (like what is my IP in Google search)

The WAN IP is public IP 100.y.y.y and the IP shown on internet is 219.y.y.y. Is this causing the port forwarding issue? and why these two IP's are different? My connection type is PPPoE

Regards,

Pallab

Options
2 Reply
Re:Port forwarding not working and WAN IP and external IP different
2022-07-31 10:16:47

Seems my network is behind a CGNAT so my WAN IP shows 100* IP and it is different from my public IP when searched over internet and based on the recent exploration seems port forwarding cannot be done for such network? 

Options
Re:Port forwarding not working and WAN IP and external IP different
2022-07-31 11:00:42 - last edited 2022-07-31 11:03:38

@pallab 

Well, in theory it could be done if your Internet Service Provider was forwarding the ports in question through their NAT to the 100.* IP address they assign to you.

However, I doubt any ISP that is supplying Internet to more than a handful of customers would do that for you, because if another of their customers asked for that same port(s) to be forwarded they would be in big trouble.

Anyway, since your connection type is PPPoE you are probably connected via a DSL or fiber line. ISPs providing broadband Internet via DSL or fiber are usually able to assign real public (dynamic) IPv4 addresses to their customers upon request, either for an additional fee or, if you are lucky, even at no additional cost.
So you could consider contacting your ISP and ask them about it.

There aren't any other simple solutions to this sort of problem.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 547

Replies: 2

Related Articles