Deco X20 - issues with sattelite backhaul switching to SonosNet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-07 10:44:00
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.3

Hello,

I have 3 Deco X20's. Two of them are wired, other takes signal via wifi. Sattelite that is on wifi also has wire comimg out to a Sonos speaker to avoid drops when playing music. Twice a day Deco switches it's signal source to Sonos speaker thus making that sattelite unusable. I'd have to unplug lan cable, wait 5 minutes and plug it back in. Is there a way to force Deco to stay on specific signal as a source? I see that version 1.6 enables it, but it's not out for X20. Maybe a beta version is available? To be honest it looks as X20 is abandoned support wise since last update it got was 2021 November.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco X20 - issues with sattelite backhaul switching to SonosNet
2022-08-07 11:44:31

@Tomasm7 

same issue here. Reported it several times to the Support over the past years but no response. Other vendors are constantly improving firmware and adding new features but not TP-Link. 

Options
2022-08-07 13:02:26

@Tomasm7 

From what you describe, Satellite Deco believes twice a day that Sonos Speaker is not a LAN client (like a desktop PC) connected to Deco by Ethernet cable, but device that provides access to your home network (like networking switch).

When Deco realizes it is connected to the LAN, in your case mistakenly, it switches to Ethernet backhaul.

Have you checked on Sonos forums and have you escalated that to Sonos support? It is quite unusual for a LAN client to suddenly advertise itself as an access point to the LAN. You couldn't be the one with Deco mesh who uses Sonos hardware, must be a topic for that on Sonos forums.

I also suspect this is not limited by just Deco, but any other WiFi mesh that can use Ethernet for backhaul.

Don't expect solution from the future Deco firmware. By design, Satellite Deco will switch to Ethernet backhaul if one is available. Satellite Deco will do that automatically. That will not change with future firmware. I have tested that with firmware 1.6 for Deco M5 which allows to set preferred Signal Source for Satellite Deco connection. Ethernet link overrules that setting.

Options
2022-08-08 08:23:10

@Tomasm7 

Hi, Did you also save any screenshots when this satellite X20 switched from wireless backhaul to Sonosnet?

And Does your network look like this: Deco X20 is in AP mode

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-08-08 08:58:34

@David-TP 

Hi David,

All is connected exactly the same way as per your picture.

When satellite connects to sonosnet it looks like this with no devices connected. All devices reconnect to other satellites.

Options