Two or more routers in network causes problems for Synology NAS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-11 09:29:32 - last edited 2022-08-12 00:50:27
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.6 Build 20211018 Rel. 35617

Hi there!

Let me begin by saying that I'm no networking pro, I just learn by trial and error. laugh 

I wanted to set up a mesh WiFi network for the first time and went with the Deco M9 Plus. Setup went fine and everything seemed to work perfectly. That's until I tried to link my Synology NAS to this network. I get the warning that there are two or more routers in my network, leaving me unable to set it up so that I can access it from outside my network.

My ISP modem is probably the "second" router it's referring to. I've disabled WiFi on that device, but can't set it to bridge mode, so I'm not sure what device is handling NAT. UPNP is only enabled on the main Deco, not on the modem. My setup is as follows:

ISP Modem (192.168.0.1)  ==>  DecoM9+ (192.168.1.1)  ==>  TL-SG108 Switch1  ==>  DecoM9+ ==> TL-SG108 Switch2 ==> Synology NAS (192.168.1.105)

The first Deco is the main one downstairs, all of the devices downstairs are connected to Switch1. There's a cable going upstairs from Switch1 to the second Deco. The devices upstairs, including my NAS, are connected to that Deco through Switch2. There's a third Deco, but that one's connected over WiFi.

Are there any ideas how this could be fixed?

Thanks in advance!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Two or more routers in network causes problems for Synology NAS
2022-08-11 13:08:25 - last edited 2022-08-12 00:50:27

@DFK93 

Here's the problem with double NAT: ISP Modem (192.168.0.1)  ==>  DecoM9+ (192.168.1.1)

If you put your Deco's in AP mode then the only router in your network would be the ISP modem and the problem would be solved.

Ideally the ISP modem should be set in bridge mode and Deco in router mode to avoid the double NAT in your LAN.

If you can't set ISP modem in bridge mode, you can try the following:

Open all ports to the DecoM9+ on your ISP Modem (192.168.0.1):
Turn ISP modem wireless radio and DHCP server off and set a static IP address 192.168.0.2 on the Deco M9+ WAN port.

Configure DMZ for the Deco's WAN IP address (192.168.0.2) on the ISP modem.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-08-11 13:56:56 - last edited 2022-08-12 00:50:27

@terziyski That was my backup option for when there is no other possible solution. cheeky Because in that case, I won't have the perks of de Deco functionalities (like Parental controls, QoS, connection alerts, ...). So I'm looking for a solution where I can keep those perks.

Options
2022-08-12 01:24:51

@DFK93 

The second solution of terziyski's post ("If you can't set ISP modem in bridge mode, you can try the following: ...") would retain the Deco's functionalities, because the Deco remains in router mode.

In case your Synology NAS is not capable of setting up port forwarding on the Deco router via UPnP on its own, then you would also need to manually setup the Deco to forward the required ports to the IP address of the Synology NAS. The port numbers depend on which services of the NAS you want to use. The "DS" apps should mostly use ports 5000 TCP and 5001 TCP.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1983

Replies: 3

Related Articles