Fast Roaming Error on Ring Stick Up Cam - Works with X60 but not X90

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-11 17:33:35
Model: Deco X5700  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I currently had the x60 Deco (3 pack) with Fast Roaming turned on. I realized I wanted tri-band instead of dual band and that I only neede 2 devices instead of 3.

Went with the Deco x5700 and also bought the X90.

I realized that when Fast Roaming was on, most of my Ring Stick Up cam's wouldn't connect. When I looked at the LOG I believe it says that the requests timed out.

Went back to the x60 and Fast Roaming on DOES work with all the cameras. I actually bought 2 separate setes of x60s at different stores.

I then went to purchase the X90 to see if it was a problem with the x5700. Same issue. Fast Roaming ON messes up Ring Stick Up Cams. Doorbell and Wired Cams work. It's just these ones in particular.

This is just very confusing and was wondering if there was any insights as to what is causing this with this specific model.

I tried Linksys Velop 4200 and Eero 6 Pro and all cameras work (I'm not sure if both of these support Fast Roaming).

Curious to get TP-Links input as to why would Fast Roaming work across all my devices on the X60 but not on the X5700/X90.

Thanks!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Fast Roaming Error on Ring Stick Up Cam - Works with X60 but not X90
2022-08-12 03:14:22

@MrNetwork 

Hi, welcome to the community.

May I know the hardware version of the Deco X60, V2, or V3?--you can find it on the product label.

Here you mentioned that "most of my Ring Stick Up cam's wouldn't connect" when fast roaming is enabled on Deco X5700/X90, so The Ring Stick Up cam just failed to connect at all, not randomly dropping the connection, right?

Deco X5700/Deco X90, the extra 5 GHz band is working exclusively as the strong wireless backhaul, not available for mobile clients.

And would there be any error message when Ring Stick Up cam failed to connect Deco X5700/X90?

If the main network is set to 2.4ghz only and WPA2-AES security, will the Ring Stick Up connect to X5700/90?

( By the way, If Ring Stick Up cam is actually able to connect X5700/90 but the connection is quite unstable, please try to test with "Mesh Technology" off and "fast roaming" on to see whether it could improve the connection.)

Thank you very much.

Wait for your reply.

Options
2022-08-12 03:49:52 - last edited 2022-08-12 03:53:02

@David-TP 

Hi David,

Answer to questions below.

Model of X60 = version 3.6

Regarding Stick Up Cams not working. So I have 8 cameras in my house, all from Ring. 3 of them are battery powered Stick Up Cameras. As soon as I turn on Fast Roaming they lose connection and I'm not able to access them. State that they are not connected to wireless network. When I turn Fast Roaming OFF, they regain connection. I narrowed down the issue and im 99.9% sure it's this since I'm able to replicate the problem 100% just toggling on/off Fast Roaming.

This only happens on the x90/5700

I tried all the standard trouble shooting of restarting factory conditions such and such and nothing.

I also tried as you recommended REMOVING those devices with the MESH toggle ON/OFF. But that didn't work either. Problem was still related to FAST Roaming ON/OFF.

The Main network is set to WPA2-AES and BOTH 2.4 and 5ghz. I haven't tried FAST ROAMING ON and removing the 5ghz band. Again, none of these issues happen on the Decox60. It ONLY happens on the x90 and 5700.

I believe I covered all your questions. I just can't seem to wrap my head around if the implementation of fast roaming on the x60 is different than the x90 or what exactly is the issue.

I think this is an issue TP Link can fairly easy replicate. Just buy 8-10 Ring Battery powered Stick up cams and test with your x90/5700 devices. Some of the Stick Up cams CAN get connection sometimes with Fast Roaming on with the x90/5700, but there were a few that there was no way no matter how many resets or all sorts of things that I tried.

BTW I really really want this to work on the 5700. Out of all the mesh systems I tried in my home in the past 3 weeks, this is by far the fastest one (700mbps on wireless on a 1gig fiber connection) and the one with most range. DecoX60 is also stable but I get half the speed (350-400mbps) and about 70% of the range of the 5700. It just sucks that for some reason, Fast Roaming doesn't allow some of my cameras to connect to the Network.

Options
2022-08-17 07:29:50

@MrNetwork 

Hi, Thank you very much for the detailed information.

I have forwarded your case to the senior engineer and have you got any email from us?

If yes, please check the email for further assistance.

Thanks again.

Best regards.

Options
2022-08-17 15:20:12

@David-TP 

I did get an email and I just responded hopefully they can look into it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 622

Replies: 4