My router doesn't accept APN settings from my carrier. The same APN settings work on other devices.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

My router doesn't accept APN settings from my carrier. The same APN settings work on other devices.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-19 11:38:37
Model: Archer MR600  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Firmware Version:‪1.6.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 220622 Rel.57913n

Hi

My carrier has a paid (but cheap) additional service which lets me gain either a dynamic public IP or a static public IP (the latter one being obviously more expensive).

I've successfully used this service on my previous router, however my new router refuses to establish a connection using the same APN settings.

Furthermore a trick I can do to force IPv4 only mode of my carrier, doesn't work on this Archer but did work on my previous router.

The APN for the public IP is IPv4 only, so my guess is my Archer is having trouble with an IPv4 only APN? (because the trick I mentioned above was also that).

I can successfully gain a public IP by using the identical APN settings after putting the sim card into my Android phone. Same goes to my iPad.

But the Archer doesn't connect AT ALL. It loses service after asking it to use those APN details.

what can I do? We troubleshooted with a tech rep for a while and they asked me to contact TP-Link because the router "refuses to use settings provided".

My previous router was a Huawei B618s-22d and it had less fields for filling in the APN details. But my carrier provides all the info, so I can't find out what's going on.

Options
5 Reply
Re:My router doesn't accept APN settings from my carrier. The same APN settings work on other devices.
2022-08-20 13:49:03

@BenjiThatFoxGuy 

Hi,

Would you mind telling us the name of the mobile carrier?

Could you please show us how you have populated the fields In the "Create Profile" menu?

Options
Re:My router doesn't accept APN settings from my carrier. The same APN settings work on other devices.
2022-09-02 10:28:55 - last edited 2022-09-02 10:29:39

hello!

it's orange poland

i've populated the APN settings as needed for the service

here's how it looks like now, when i tried another variant of the service to no avail as well;

no ipv4 settings work on this router at all, even the non static ipv4 config provided by the carrier

only settings that work for this router are ipv6 settings, so this means this service of "open nat with static IP" won't work because they require you to use ipv4

edit; the screenshot is just how i made it so that i can take the screenshot. the moment i press save, it will lose network connection.

Options
2022-09-04 18:38:31 - last edited 2022-09-04 18:39:24

@BenjiThatFoxGuy 

Hi,

Have you already tried what happens if you enter some bogus Username and Password (like "12345" or "abcde" or "internet") and set Authentication Type to CHAP or PAP?

I remember in the past there were cases when it was necessary to do that, even though there were no specific username and password required.

Also, have you already tried the other APN "vpn" that supposedly gives you a dynamic public IP address?

By the way, are you actually able to connect the MR600 to the Internet with the normal APN of the Orange SIM card? I mean the one without the public IP address?

Options
2022-09-05 03:28:30

@BenjiThatFoxGuy 

Hi, based on the screenshot, the PDP Type is IPv4&IPv6, you mentioned that the public IP is only for IPv4?

How about changing the PDP Type to IPv4 only?

Options
2022-09-05 07:38:37

@Sunshine i've tried it. might be my mistake to take the screenshot without changing the PDP type, sorry.

i've tried all combinations and i've tried the trick that was posted above.

when i called orange support they connected me through to the technicians and the technician told me there's 100% something wrong with my router because i input what's needed and the router refuses to do exactly that but does something else according to their logs of what's trying to connect.

Options