Adding Static Route

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Adding Static Route

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Adding Static Route
Adding Static Route
2022-08-21 16:29:44 - last edited 2022-08-22 01:06:02
Model: TD-W9970  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 0.9.1 v009f.0 Build 190419 Rel.34272n

Folks, recently whilst trying to understand adding static routes to my router I did the following;

I added a computer to my network and fixed its IP address giving it a completely different subnet to my existing home network.

I then added a static route on my router's configuration page selecting the LAN interface and using my router's IP address as gateway.

This device was not available on my network until I enabled it in the configuration page at which point this completely different IP address was available to ping and log in to using SSH.

When logged in via SSH I checked the device's IP address and it was a completely different subnet but strangely it was able to ping all devices on my original network address.  I cleared the ARP cache on both router and device but still device was able to communicate with other nodes on my original network address.

Is this normal behaviour?  I was under the impression it would be isolated.

Geoff Lane

Options
2 Reply
Re:Adding Static Route
2022-08-24 08:15:09

@Geffers 

Hi, you could have a look at this link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/routers/cisco-rv-series-small-business-routers/kmgmt-2334-Static-Routing-RV160-RV260.html

Without a static route, the computer would be isolated, and once a static route profile has been created, it is possible for the devices to communicate with each other.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Adding Static Route
2022-09-21 16:12:00

@David-TP   Sorry for delayed reply and thank you.

I am trying to see why a different subnet address, when given a static route, forms part of the existing network.  Why would someone choose that over just giving it an IP address within the network range as set in the router?

Geoff

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 318

Replies: 2

Related Articles