X50 intermittent loss of internet on some devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-05 09:33:41
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.8

Hi all,

I have the 3-pack of the Deco X50 V1 units - they are running in access-point mode, and all have ethernet backhaul.

The WiFi coverage is generally great, but we have noticed that intermittently, some devices (mainly iPhones/Google Pixel/Oppo phones) will show full WiFi signal, but no internet connection.

The internet connection is indeed working fine at that time - the Decos all have green LEDs, and other wireless or wired devices aren't affected.

I've disabled 'Fast roaming', and have also tried running without Beamforming, but it's still the same.

Is there something in the logs that I should be looking out for? Or is there something else I can try?

Separately, we have a Hive heating thermostat, which uses the Zigbee network. This network clashes with 2.4GHz WiFi channel 8 or 9, I believe. Periodically, the Hive will go offline, and I know that the Deco network has moved to overlap the Zigbee network channel. The Deco app says that the WiFi channel selection is 'Perfect', but in order to get the Hive working again, I have to temporarily enable my ISP router WiFi to Channel 8/9 to force the Deco to see interference and move its channel. I know it's been mentioned for a couple of years on here, but having the ability to manually select the Deco WiFi channels would be very helpful in cases such as this. 

Many thanks,

Dean

Options
2 Reply
Re:X50 intermittent loss of internet on some devices
2022-09-06 06:15:42

@greendragon 

Hi, please turn off "Mesh Technology" on these smartphones as well:

May I know how do they restore the connection when there is no internet? will it get connected automatically later or need a manual disconnect/reconnect to the WiFi?

When you are available, please try to enable guest network with a different SSID for 2.4ghz only and connect these phones to the guest network to check whether the stability gets improved.

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
Re:X50 intermittent loss of internet on some devices
2022-09-06 13:14:58

Hi @David-TP 

Thank you for your reply.

I will try turning off the Mesh setting for the phones in question and will let you know if anything changes.

I actually tried your suggestion of using the Guest 2.4GHz network earlier this week, but that unfortunately didn't help.

To get the devices to reconnect can often take 5-10 minutes and there is no single thing that seems to resolve it - I have tried restarting the phones, turning wifi off/on, switching to the 2.4Ghz network.

Something i am testing is changing the DNS settings - whilst this shouldn't affect anything because my Decos are running in AP mode, I did notice my phone reconnected after setting my phone DNS to 8.8.8.8 earlier this week. I don't know whether this was simply a coincidence, but I'll monitor it and will let you know.

Thanks again,

Dean

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 463

Replies: 2