NordVPN Issue on AX23

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

NordVPN Issue on AX23

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
NordVPN Issue on AX23
NordVPN Issue on AX23
2022-09-28 08:38:02 - last edited 2023-02-01 12:18:30
Model: Archer AX23  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 20220216 Rel. 6080 (5553)

hi,  I intend to configure my NordVPN account into my home router and just bought online (Philippines) TP Link router AX23 as it's supposedly support the said VPN.  Upon  accessing the router configuration, I observed that the VPN Client option is not in the menu list. Tried to perform an online firmware update apparently, the firmware is already updated. Downloaded the (bin) file for version 3.6 (mine is V1.2) where it says "VPN Client has been added" and tried to perform a manual firmware upgrade but didn't work - encountered an error "file format not supported". Hope somebody could help resolve my issue...thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:NordVPN Issue on AX23-Solution
2022-09-28 10:58:07 - last edited 2022-09-29 01:50:56

@ETG312 

Is the router model Archer AX23 v1.20? Please confirm it by checking the device label underneath the router.

If it is Archer AX23, it doesn't support VPN Client feature as per the following thread:

Routers Supporting VPN Client

You may choose one that already supports VPN Client feature.

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:NordVPN Issue on AX23-Solution
2022-09-28 10:58:07 - last edited 2022-09-29 01:50:56

@ETG312 

Is the router model Archer AX23 v1.20? Please confirm it by checking the device label underneath the router.

If it is Archer AX23, it doesn't support VPN Client feature as per the following thread:

Routers Supporting VPN Client

You may choose one that already supports VPN Client feature.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:NordVPN Issue on AX23
2022-09-28 11:36:00

@Kevin_Z 

Yes, its Archer AX23 V1.2 and I believe Archer AX23 and AX1800 are the same.  The AX1800 is in the TP Link router list that supports NordVPN in particular. I have seen a sample AX23(AX1800) configuration guide wherein both the "VPN Client" and the "VPN Server " features are in the menu list, mine only has the "VPN Server".  I believe the "VPN Client" feature was added in V3.6 unfortunately, my firmware upgrade attempt to V3.6 was unsuccessful for its telling me that my current version is already updated....thanks

Options
2022-09-29 01:53:12

@ETG312 

Even though they are both AX1800 series, they are different models and hardware versions, you cannot upgrade or install the firmware for AX1800.

Just like Kevin suggested, it would be better to replace it with one that supports VPN Client already (if it is still in the return window).

If my reply helps with the issue, please click on the arrow pointing upward. If it solves your issue, please click the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-10-10 11:37:00

@Liverpool20 Thanks for the update mate. Considering that i do go for a replacement which model would support a VPN client for sure?

Options
2022-10-11 06:15:57

@Rayan_L 

All the models in the below link support VPN Client:

https://www.tp-link.com/home-networking/wifi-router/?filterby=AND%7C6112

Or you can refer to Kevin's thread to find which model is available in your region and it's within your budget:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/272492

If my reply helps with the issue, please click on the arrow pointing upward. If it solves your issue, please click the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-10-11 09:41:58

@Liverpool20 Much appreciated. Thank you

Options
2022-10-12 11:02:34

@Rayan_L 

You are welcome. You cam mark my suggestion as recommended if that answers your inquiry. :)

Options
2023-01-02 19:15:49

@Kevin_Z 

Sorry for the way I'm asking, but... Is TP-Link trying to trick the clients?

You use 2 model names in a router, one is in the list and supports the VPN client, and the other one is not and doesn't support VPN client. I searched and bought the Archer AX23 (we have no way to know the version before we receive it) to be able to configure a VPN on the router level at home, then when I receive the router I figure out that this one is not supported. It is a shame for me to see a big company doing such a terrible job. There are so many names and numbers you can use, why do such a thing?

Now, after I unpack and install it I need to find a way to return my router to the vendor and buy a new one. If the vendor doesn't accept the return I will just lose the money I paid for it, because this one will be useless for me.

Options
2023-01-03 06:50:13

Mairum wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Sorry for the way I'm asking, but... Is TP-Link trying to trick the clients?

You use 2 model names in a router, one is in the list and supports the VPN client, and the other one is not and doesn't support VPN client. I searched and bought the Archer AX23 (we have no way to know the version before we receive it) to be able to configure a VPN on the router level at home, then when I receive the router I figure out that this one is not supported. It is a shame for me to see a big company doing such a terrible job. There are so many names and numbers you can use, why do such a thing?

Now, after I unpack and install it I need to find a way to return my router to the vendor and buy a new one. If the vendor doesn't accept the return I will just lose the money I paid for it, because this one will be useless for me.

@Mairum  Apologies for the confusion caused by the model and the Wi-Fi standards. When you search for AX1800, you will find different models, such as Archer AX20, AX21, and AX23, they will have slight difference in features and functions if you compare them as follows:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/compare/?typeId=9&productIds=50006%2C59021%2C58956

So please confirm the specific model next time when you're purchasing something online, even with the same Wi-Fi standards, there are different models.

Please try to contact the store or reseller to check if you can still replace it with one that supports VPN Client. All the models listed here support VPN Client.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1734

Replies: 9

Related Articles