Votes

Daisy chain OneMesh WiFi extender

2022-10-02 14:05:23 - last edited 2023-05-19 09:17:57
Tags: #OneMesh
Model: RE300  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 210623 Rel.33906n (8583)

Hello all,

I have a OneMesh router with two OneMesh extenders set up in my home. The problem is that one of the extenders is too far from the main router and I need to daisy chain it with an extender that is placed midway. The setup works fine when I configure that extender in question, but works only for a while, then it decides to switch its main network back to the main router; the signal is very weak to maintain a good connection and hence I want it to stay connected to the extender in the middle. Is there a way to configure the extender to connect to that particular MAC address; the quick setup shows me both networks (they both have the same name) and I choose the correct signal (better signal and the right MAC address) but then defaults to the router's MAC after some time and looses the connection.

Main router → extender 1 → extender 2

instead of

main router → extender 1 & 2

I recognize that the speed might take a hit but its a sacrifice I am willing to take in favor of the signal strength and continuity. My broadband speed is low anyway so a slower lan speed won't be an issue. 

please advise. 

Options
14 Reply
Re:Daisy chain OneMesh WiFi extender
2022-10-09 09:49:02 - last edited 2022-11-02 03:52:26

@Modude 

Thank you for the feedback. It looks like the OneMesh range extenders will preferably connect to the main router (it is recommended to connected both extenders to the main router for best performance) and so far we can't specify the front AP and the extender connected to.

As the workaround, you may connect the 2nd range extender to the 1st range extender via Ethernet cable and use the 2nd extender in the AP mode. 

Here is a QA in part 3 for details. 

Q3.6 Can I use more than 1 range extender in the house? Can I connect a wifi extender to another wifi extender?

Options
2022-10-09 20:18:32 - last edited 2022-11-02 03:52:26

@Solla-topee Hi,

Actually running ethernet cables is not an option (that's the whole point I invested into the mesh wifi)... maybe you can log this as a feature request? ie allow for selecting the main network and allowing the extender to "lock-onto" the MAC address i stead of just the SSID? ie to prevent defaulting to the main router when picking up a weak signal. Am sure this would be very useful. 
thx. 

Options
2022-10-10 01:02:26 - last edited 2022-11-02 03:52:26

Hello  @Modude 

Thank you for the suggestion, we'd be happy to add this into the list of requests first for the team's further evaluation. 

For your case, you might consider relocating the main router to somewhere closer to the 2nd extender, for example connecting via a longer Ethernet cable for relocation purpose. 

Or you could think get other type of extenders like the  Powerline OneMesh product if the house is in the same powerline/ under the same power meter.  

Options
2022-12-11 00:12:53

@Solla-topee any updates?

Options
RE:Daisy chain OneMesh WiFi extender
2023-04-13 00:23:17
This feature would be great. Basic Daisy chaining just using the 2.4GHz band would even be worth it as it would allow an effective doubling of the coverage radius. It would be especially useful as the range of the extenders is fairly limited in the first place.
Options
2023-04-13 22:46:56

@TheTrojan yes absolutely... I've been told it's in the feature request but haven't heard anything since 🥲

@Solla-topee any updates?? 😇

Options
2023-04-13 22:48:15
Please allow to lock in the main network router with MAC address (not only the SSID) to allow for daisy-chaining
Options
2023-09-04 16:12:28 - last edited 2023-09-04 16:26:21

@Solla-topee This defeats the purpose of a mesh network if extenders only connect to the main router.  The entire idea of a mesh is that each extender connects to the others...In a Mesh!  if all extenders only connect to the main router this is a star topology not mesh.  Even the onemesh logo shows interconnection between extenders.  This feels like false advertising and is extremely disappointing.   - Please vote for this feature add if you are reading this.  I see hundreds of views but only 8 votes. 

Options
2023-09-04 16:22:23
A proper wireless mesh would connect to the strongest (and ideally multiple) connections not the fastest. Reliability should always be prioritized over speed. Allowing extenders to auto-connect to the strongest signal is a basic tenant of mesh technology. Since this is not happening allowing us to force connection by mac address is a work around.
Options
2023-10-07 02:25:53

@AlbertaComputer  yes please add the ablity to chain

Options

Information

Helpful: 13

Views: 2565

Replies: 14

Voters 11

+ 7 Voters

Tags