RE330 Range Extender mode bandwith is slower than my internet bandwidth!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-07 18:14:00
Tags: #Access Point Mode #Range Extender Mode
Model: RE300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 210907 Rel.59102n

Hello, I have choose the RE300 in the menu because the RE330 doesn't show in the dropdown menu, I don't know why.

I have purchased the RE330 Mesh WiFi Extender, and I have tested it in range extender mode but the download speed is slower than my internet speed using my ISP modem/router, but when I use the RE330 in access point mode the download speed is very good. Can someone explain me what's the problem?

Options
5 Reply
Re:RE330 Range Extender mode bandwith is slower than my internet bandwidth!
2022-10-09 08:18:53

Hello   @Naceron 

Range extender receives data from the router wirelessly and then forward it to the Wi-Fi network clients. speed will decrease during the transmission. 

Besides the range extender works in 'half-duplex' mode in extender mode,  it can only talk to the main router or the wireless client device in either way, not the same time, the link speed at physical layer will cut to half. In that way speed will get reduced again. 

Thus the range extender are used usually for increase more coverage or kill wifi dead zone,  instead of boosting the Wifi speed. 

If you could wire extender to router via Ethernet cable and use RE in Access Point mode, the speed could  be higher.

Hope this answer your question. 

Options
2022-10-09 08:43:18

@Solla-topee Hello, thanks for the reply and the details. I see that's why in access point mode I get the most of my internet speed and I use it mainly in AP mode, but in range extender mode even close to the extender my internet speed doesn't' go above 20Mbps while my Internet speed with the ISP modem/router is 50Mbps, but un Ap mode I get near 54Mbps in 5Ghz band but very inferior in 2.4Ghz band.

Options
2022-10-10 02:21:28

Hello @Naceron 

In the AP mode, if the 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi speed is slower, you could check what's the Wi-Fi link speed on the network device.  How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client. RE330 2.4Ghz Max Wireless link 300 Mbps at 2.4 GHz.If the Link speed does not reach 300Mbps,the 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi speed cab be capped by the network adapter of a device. 

In extender mode, the speed RE received from the router at the location of extender is also quite important. And to check if the RE's speed is reasonable,  we will recommend test speed as suggested in the troubleshooting guide and judge if the speed is normal.  [Troubleshooting] What should I do if Internet speed becomes slow via Range Extender?

Options
2022-10-10 10:06:40

@Solla-topee Hello, I have a 50Mbps FTTH, in AP mode the 5Ghz band give me the full speed of my internet but in the 24Ghz mode is much slower at 20Mbps even closer to the extender and this with all my devices (smartphones, laptops, TV, etc). In Range Extender mode the 2.4Ghz band the speed s also slower at 20Mbps, in 5Ghz it can't repeat since my ISP modem/router is mono band only. I don't know if this situation is normal or strange!

Options
2022-11-27 23:25:03
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 900

Replies: 5

Tags

Access Point Mode
Range Extender Mode
Related Articles