Public static IP addresses with VR2100V and pfSense

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-09 11:59:04 - last edited 2022-10-13 05:17:19
Tags: #NBN Configuration #Public static IP
Model: Archer VR2100v  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi

I am currently using a Fritzbox and my ISP is Internode.  I connect using PPPoE, but I am changing to a different router because I can't seem to do what I need to do with the Fritzbox.  I have NBN, but it uses a phone line.  I am planning on buying the TP-Link VR2100V and that will be the modem.  My main router is a pfSense box.  If plug the phone line into the pfSense to try and connect using PPPoE nothing happens.  The lights on the router don't even flash so I seem to need a modem.

What I am trying to do is run multiple Flux nodes on an Oracle VM.  Each Flux node gets an internal/private IP address from my pfSense router.  The pfSense router gets an IP from the ISP router/TP-Link.

I need to give each node a public static IP address (I have six /29 currently).  I am able to set up pfSense so that when a node goes online it is seen as having the public static IP address.

This is how it will work

The node connects to the internet and it is seen as having a public static IP address of, for example, 66.10.1.1 and another node also connects at the same time and it is seen as 66.10.1.2.  That is fine.  I run a script on the node to check it's online IP address

But when someone from the internet tries to connect to 66.10.1.1 then that is where I get stuck.  I tested this with web pages that check for open ports.

Will it be good enough to just put pfSense in the TP-Link DMZ?  Do I need to do some kind of ipv4 route from the TP-Link to the pfSense?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Public static IP addresses with VR2100V and pfSense-Solution
2022-10-13 03:23:36 - last edited 2022-10-13 05:17:19

@Taskman 

Hi, It is suggested to set up Archer VR2100v as a DSL bridge modem only and then set up PPPOE connection on Pfsense router 

(It is under Advanced>Network>Internet>internet connections>"Edit">choose "Bridge" as the internet connection type.)

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Public static IP addresses with VR2100V and pfSense-Solution
2022-10-13 03:23:36 - last edited 2022-10-13 05:17:19

@Taskman 

Hi, It is suggested to set up Archer VR2100v as a DSL bridge modem only and then set up PPPOE connection on Pfsense router 

(It is under Advanced>Network>Internet>internet connections>"Edit">choose "Bridge" as the internet connection type.)

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Public static IP addresses with VR2100V and pfSense
2022-10-13 04:50:57

@David-TP Thank you for your reply.  I took a screenshot of the page.  Please have a look.  I can't find the bridge setting.

Options
2022-10-13 05:01:50

I see I need to make a new connection and then I have the option to pick bridge.  I will try that now.  Thank you

Options
2022-10-13 05:19:27

It works :)  Thank you.  I have spent months trying to make this work with a Fritzbox.  I stopped counting the number of hours that went into this.

Sorted in one day with a tp-link.  Now I am able to give the node a public static IP and it is seen on the internet correctly and I can access it from the internet.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 343

Replies: 4

Tags

NBN Configuration
Public static IP