X55 in AP mode is still a DHCP server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-17 16:12:54
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.0

Hi, I am nearly about to return my second set of Deco mesh devices becasue of the same issue.

I already have a TP-Link router which I'd like to keep as my DHCP server, however the X55 Decos will not accept this and still provide DHCP server in AP mode. This breaks the network.

Please can you provide a firmware fix? Otherwise these too will be going back and my faith in TP-link will be gone forever. Thanks.

Options
7 Reply
Re:X55 in AP mode is still a DHCP server
2022-10-17 17:03:44

@Ashley5090 

This beta firmware for X55 allows to disable Smart DHCP feature you are referring to: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/581552

"Added Smart DHCP on/off switch in Access Point mode under Deco App > More > Advanced > Smart DHCP."

You need to install that firmware only on Main Deco. Satellite Decos can keep running with their current firmware.

You should also check your home network. Deco Smart DHCP feature only triggers where there is something wrong with the network, such as Main Deco losing connection to the router. Disabling Smart DHCP feature will stop Deco from behaving as DHCP server, but it will not fix the underlying problem which forces Main Deco to assume role of the DHCP server.

Options
2022-10-17 21:22:44 - last edited 2022-10-17 21:23:42

@Ashley5090 

I just realized you have TP-Link router. Check if this document applicable for it: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/stories/detail/1804

If router DHCP Server setting is Auto, change it to On. That might fix the problem you see on the network.

The problem you see is when two different networking devices have Smart DHCP enabled and they are restarted (or started after power loss) in the wrong order: Main Deco comes back first, TP-Link router comes back after it. Main Deco becomes DHCP server (as none available at the moment) and TP-Link router does not take over as DHCP server because there is already one on the network.

If this helps, you would not need to install X55 beta firmware. Even if you did install new firmware already, I strongly recommend setting DHCP Server to On in TP-Link router.

Options
2022-10-17 21:28:31
Thanks for your thought. Unfortunatly there is only a ENABLE check box with the DHCP server, no other settings like you mention. I am actually having trouble installing the firmware on X55. I tried 3 times on LAN connection to install but after reboot it still has the same firmware, any suggestions? Thank you
Options
2022-10-17 21:32:56

@Ashley5090 

Try with the Satellite Deco, and I don't think it has to be wired. If you have more than one, try with each of them, one by one. If you suceed upgrading firmware on Satellite Deco, you can promote it to Main Deco: Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network

Options
2022-10-17 22:48:37
Well thank you, trying the 2nd Deco did work to upgrade the firmware. I was excited to see the Smart DHCP switch, I turned it off. Wited some time, rebooted also, but my network is still broken. I check the Smart DHCP switch that I turned off and it's turned itself back on. What is the reason for the switch if it just turns on again? What can I do other than send these back please?
Options
2022-10-17 23:43:39 - last edited 2022-10-17 23:44:39

@Ashley5090 

That I can't help you with. I suggest you reply to the forum topic with beta firmware announcement https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/581552 and ask there why Smart DHCP setting does not stay OFF when you set it to OFF. That is definitely not the expected behavior.

Options
2022-10-18 06:39:36

@Ashley5090 

Thanks a lot for Alex's suggestions and it is indeed the unexpected behavior after turning off smart DHCP.

I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers, and please check whether you could get an email from us later.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 610

Replies: 7

Related Articles