Deco P9 setup issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco P9 setup issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco P9 setup issues
Deco P9 setup issues
2022-11-26 22:46:29
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.3

Hi,

I bought a set of  2x Deco P9 and also I am having an existing Deco M4.

First I want to describe my setup, that is as follow:

At second floor is I have my internet ISP modem and I've connected the main Deco P9 directly to ISP modem through cable

At first floor I have another Deco P9 satellite (into first room) that is plugged directly into wallet socket (no extension cord involved), also I have another Deco M4 into another room.

My questions are:

1. If the P9 deco are using PCL connection between them anyway why does it show into the mobile Deco app that there is no connection between main P9 and satellite P9 ?

In theory it should never be an issue with the connection between P9 units if they are connected on power line also. I can understand that the signal would not be super great but at least there will be a signal between them.

2. My Deco M4, from first floor, is trying to connect to the main P9 Deco from second floor even if the signal is very very weak and it has the other P9 Deco (the satellite from the same floor ) very close to it. Why is not using the second P9 as the preferred node to connect to that should have a better signal ?

So my actual configuration is:

ISP

|

M4 ---- Main P9 ---- Second P9

I would expect to have the following configuration

ISP

|

Main P9 ---- Second P9 ---- M4

only because the ISP and Main P9 are at the second floor and the Second P9 and M4 are at the first floor and my closer to each other.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco P9 setup issues
2022-11-27 00:51:59 - last edited 2022-11-27 00:52:21

@Calinux 

Start with this FAQ: General Questions about the Powerline or PLC Backhaul Feature of Deco

As for Deco M4, it is known issue for Satellite Deco to prefer to connect to Main Deco, even if signal between them is weak. You can try moving M4 further away from Main Deco, that might help.

If your M4 has hardware version V4, there is beta firmware for it that might allow manually configure to which Deco P9 your M4 will connect. I said "might," because it is beta and at least in one case where I suggested it the user installed firmware, but was not able to successfully configure M4 to connect where he wanted. Firmware can be found here: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/581554

Options
2022-11-27 09:40:40

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for quick reply.

Yes I have seen that the PCL symbol appear into mobile deco app and I quess that it is using PCL communication with the main deco, but I cannot understand why the app, some times, show that there is no connection between those 2 P9 devices.

Regarding the M4 yes, I have installed the beta firmware and now it seems that the layout for the deco mesh is as I suspected 

Main Deco P9 --- Statelite P9 --- M4

So this is an improvements, but still in the app if I want to manually save a specific deco source for M4 it is not working properly, because I can choose an option but I cannot save it. I am receiving the same error over and over: "Failed to save your preferrence. Try again later"

But still for the moment it seems that the auto option from M4 beta firmware does choose the right source for signal based on there strength.

Thanks a lot.

Options
2022-11-27 14:32:10

@Calinux 

What you see in Deco app may be a reporting issue, but may be Satellite P9 losing powerline link and reconnecting over WiFi.

If you are happy with Deco mesh performance you can just let it be, but if you want to troubleshoot it I may be able to assist. In that case, I'll be asking you more questions, and will ask for screenshots, and may ask to run tests with wired device, such as desktop or laptop, connected to Satellite P9 Ethernet port.

Options
2022-11-30 10:04:00
Well I am not happy with the performance but for the time being I don't want to spend more time on this issue. I have already spent more than I should with this issue. Thanks a lot for your fast replies and help.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 401

Replies: 4

Related Articles