Cannot ping devices on remote network using OpenVPN/PPTP VPN (RESOLVED)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-19 02:46:48 - last edited 2022-12-19 15:23:00
Tags: #VPN
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9 Build 20200708 rel.55037(5553)

Hello everyone. I've been trying to setup a VPN where I can RDP to my home PC when I'm away. I've setup a DDNS, and configured PPTP VPN. When connected I cannot ping any of the remote devices with IP or host name. Both devices are Windows 10 pro.

I also tried OpenVPN, loaded the config file and connected successfully. Same thing, could not ping any of the remote devices by IP or host name.

I followed these steps: https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-guides/archer-ax50_v1/chapter-11-vpn-server

Anything I'm missing?

P.s. the ping and RDP works fine when I'm at home and physically connected on the remote network.

Thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Cannot ping devices on remote network using OpenVPN/PPTP VPN-Solution
2022-12-19 13:37:06 - last edited 2022-12-19 15:23:00

@di0001 

Hi,

Below is a screenshot showing the default firewall settings on a standard installation of Windows 10 Pro. By default only pings from IP addresses within the local subnet are allowed, but if you are using a VPN your IP address will usually be something like 10.8.x.x or whatever you have manually set up. To be able to ping the Windows machine from a such remote IP address you will have to change the setting to either "Any IP address" or, more preferably, click the "Add" button and add only the IP range your VPN is actually using.

I can't say much about RDP, but it could be a similar issue. I suggest you also check the corresponding entries in the Windows Firewall.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Cannot ping devices on remote network using OpenVPN/PPTP VPN-Solution
2022-12-19 13:37:06 - last edited 2022-12-19 15:23:00

@di0001 

Hi,

Below is a screenshot showing the default firewall settings on a standard installation of Windows 10 Pro. By default only pings from IP addresses within the local subnet are allowed, but if you are using a VPN your IP address will usually be something like 10.8.x.x or whatever you have manually set up. To be able to ping the Windows machine from a such remote IP address you will have to change the setting to either "Any IP address" or, more preferably, click the "Add" button and add only the IP range your VPN is actually using.

I can't say much about RDP, but it could be a similar issue. I suggest you also check the corresponding entries in the Windows Firewall.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Cannot ping devices on remote network using OpenVPN/PPTP VPN
2022-12-19 15:07:43

@woozle Oh I didn't know about this local subnet restriction in the scope tab! Interesting so I got it working. Since I'm already on the road and don't have access to my remote machine I just changed the VPN range in the AX50 console. I made sure to pick a range that was in the same subnet as my remote device but not in the range of all my other remote devices. All my home devices start after 192.168.0.100, so I picked the range 192.168.0.20 - 192.168.0.29 in the PPTP VPN settings, and viola I can ping and RDP to my remote device at home!

Thanks so much! :)

PS if you are reading this later and want to know how I accessed the AX50 console I used this link while connected to the VPN: http://tplinkwifi.net/

Options
Re:Cannot ping devices on remote network using OpenVPN/PPTP VPN
2022-12-19 15:22:26

In hindsight this might not be the most secure way to do it, since I'm opening up my home network to more attack vectors via the VPN. But at least I have mandatory encryption on the PPTP enabled on both ends.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1028

Replies: 3

Tags

Related Articles