X20 not getting firmware updates anymore?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-06 06:54:07
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.3

TP Link is ignoring every question about new firmware release with new features for the X20v2.

I have 5 units and to have matter support and similar features as the new X50 firmware.

is it not possible to have a clear information if the x20s are getting a firmware update ( they are NOT EOL!!) or not.

If not what would be an upgrade path? The x50s or other decos?

I am interested at buying the x50 outdoor but want to have the same feature set for the complete mesh system. 
the way TP-Link is handling existing customer is a nightmare. 
no clear firmware roadmap and communication per model family 

Options
7 Reply
Re:X20 not getting firmware updates anymore?
2023-01-06 11:18:26

@Lexivienna 

Hi, the community does not ignore the questions about firmware upgrade plans, and sorry that I have missed your private messages.

It is just we do not have updated news from engineers and any uncertain speculation would be irresponsible and false-leading once the deadline was not met. Since it has been reported many times, I am sure the engineers do know the firmware roadmap needs to be well-scheduled and are working on it. Also in the last year, with the cooperation of community members, many early-release firmware versions have been tested and finally become the official firmware. I do think a similar firmware upgrade would occur on more models. And the firmware programming team really needs to speed up the process in the coming year.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-01-06 11:35:08

@David-TP 

thxs,

regarding my question about the x50 outdoor - do I need to replace the x20s with X50s to get the same featureset ?

Cheers

Options
2023-01-09 01:09:30

@Lexivienna, Thank you for getting back to me.

With the current latest firmware on Deco X50-out, It does not support many features on the 1.1.0/1.2.0 of Deco X50 either.

So if an advanced setting needs the support of both the main Deco and satellite Deco, replacing the main Deco might not be enough and we still need to wait for the firmware upgrade of Deco X50-Outdoor. Maybe you could tell me what are necessary features you need desperately, so we can tell whether it is needed to replace the main Deco.

Best regards.

Options
2023-01-09 06:49:58 - last edited 2023-01-09 09:09:31

@David-TP 

thx David for following up

source selection 

channel selection or a "blacklist" which channel should not be used

Matter support

system backup

iot network

Cheers

alexis

Options
2023-01-10 12:09:01

@Lexivienna 

Thanks for your time and patience.

For the source selection and IoT network, it will help if Deco X20 is replaced with Deco X50.

For the rest of the features, Deco X50 does not support either. Like wireless channels, although it has been requested many times, it is still suspended and could not reach an agreement. So far Deco BE95 is the first device to support Matter and it is very likely to be accomplished via a hardware upgrade, not a software upgrade.

Since different Deco units could work together and usually there will be more than one Deco in the Mesh networks, so unlike a single standard router, it might be rather difficult to save a copy of the network configuration that worked for all the Deco models in the Mesh. And Deco supports switching the satellite unit to the main Deco directly without losing configurations. Compared with hardware resetting the main Deco, it is always better to put the unwanted Deco as a satellite unit first, then reset it so the Mesh network could still be backed-up.

Best regards.

Options
2023-01-10 12:31:56

@Lexivienna 

sounds like a no for every question.

I guess I will switch to Eero or Google wifi mesh.

They have these features or working constantly on firmware upgrades to exiting models.

Options
2023-01-10 14:04:26

New year, same old question.

They are killing the x20 off so you buy a mesh product that requires a subscription.  I used to be a fan of TP-Link products, not anymore.

Lexivienna wrote

@Lexivienna 

sounds like a no for every question.

I guess I will switch to Eero or Google wifi mesh.

They have these features or working constantly on firmware upgrades to exiting models.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 738

Replies: 7