Deco X20: Doubles ARP requests and reboots itself

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-30 14:33:22
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.4 build 20221115 rel 78784

Hello everyone.

Like others of us, my main Deco X20 (router mode) started to reboot itself.

Investigating the problem with Wireshark, I found that the main Deco X20 always sends every ARP request duplicated at the same time. Besides being weird behavior (well, that's my opinion), I think the router is rebooting itself due to some sort of arp flood. Sending every duplicate arp request doesn't help network performance anyway, and I don't think it helps prevent router reboots either.

So a couple of questions:

Is it normal or is it useful to send each duplicate ARP request at the same time?
Could this ARP behavior be the reason for the router reboot?

Below a screenshot to see the issue.

My Decos are in router mode, with 2 Deco X20 (one of them the main one) and 3 Deco M4, all connected in a star topology with an ethernet cable to a 1 Gbps switch Tp Link LS1008G. To that switch also is connected a Raspberry Pi 4 and a NAS WdMyCloud.  Last firmware in all Decos.

Thanks,

Fernando.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco X20: Doubles ARP requests and reboots itself
2023-01-31 06:32:40

@faliaga HI, Welcome to the community.

I will leave it to the senior engineers and personally I don't think ARP Flood will cause Deco to reboot itself.

In the meantime, could you please help me check the following details:

1. How long times have the main Deco X20 rebooted so far? or how about the auto-reboot frequency?

2. Have you tried to switch to a different Deco X20 as the main Deco to see whether the issue continued:

How to Setup the Satellite Deco to be the Main Deco

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2023-01-31 14:30:37

Thanks @David-TP for writing.

i) About my question about the double ARP query from the main Deco X20, I'm still wondering if it's normal behavior.

ii) About Deco reboots, I made two changes to my network and the reboots are gone, at least, for now... 2 days no reboots.

One of the changes I made was to the physical network connection of decos. I wrote that all Decos connect to the TP-Link LS1008G giga switch in a star topology. However, only one of the M4 deco was connected to the second port of the non-main X20 deco. So now, using one fiber optic and two Gigabit fiber optic media converters, I connected that M4 deco directly to the TP-Link LS1008G. So now I have a true star network topology.

The other change was that I turned off my Raspberry pi 4 (rpi4). I have on it: Docker+Home Assistant+Duplicati+Plex Server.

So maybe, just maybe, one of those programs could be causing a problem. For example, Duplicati is backup software and when it runs it means a LOT of traffic within my network between the rpi4, the NAS and my internet connection uploading the backup to Google Drive. Could all this heavy traffic trigger reboots on the main Deco X20?

Or... Maybe Home Assistant is sending some kind of network traffic that could affect the main X20. Or maybe Docker has its own network services that are reaching the network somehow and causing the router to reboot. Same with the Plex server. etc.

So let's keep my network as it is today for a few more days. If everything works fine, I'm going to turn on the rpi4. If the network is still good with the rpi4 on, the conclusion was that connecting an additional deco to a second port of a deco was no good. If the problem comes up again, I'll investigate the different software inside the rpi4 to identify who is the bad guy :S

I will inform the community when I have any conclusion.

Thanks again,

Fernando.

Options
2023-02-15 14:43:33

Quick update.

Unfortunately, after much testing and much analysis with Wireshark, the main Deco X20 keeps rebooting randomly.

I must say that since I connected a remote M4 Deco directly to the tp-link switch that was daisychained to the second port of an X20 (not main), it has worked better, i.e. less random reboots. But we went from 2 or 3 reboots a day to 1 a week.

I'll keep doing tests, including the test of taking the 2 Decos X20 (v2.0) off the network and putting everything back as it was before with 3 Decos M4, but I'm ending this thread. In case of any news I will open another.

Thank you all,

Fernando.

Options