Deco P9 cuts in half WI-FI speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-02 20:47:46 - last edited 2023-02-08 13:58:13
Tags: #Feature Request #Wi-FI slow speed
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 Build 20201228 Rel. 55057

Hi all!

First, I measured the speed of the cable entering the apartment:

After that, I turned off one DECO, and I had this network map:

After that, I started testing from the main device:

Cable speed:

WI-FI speed:

As you can see from the Tx Rate, the stability of the connection is maximum!

After that, I ran the tests on a second non-primary device:

Cable speed:

WI-FI speed:

As you can see from the Tx Rate, the stability of the connection is maximum!

That is, I draw conclusions:
- After entering the main device (bedroom), we lose ~100mb/c
- When using WI-FI from the main device, we lose 50% of the speed at the maximum speed indicator.
- When using a wired connection from a non-main device, we lose ~50% of speed.
- When using a WI-FI connection from a non-main device, we lose ~90% of the speed.

I have the latest firmware installed:

The tests were carried out on Apple equipment:

That is, I draw conclusions:
- After entering the main device (bedroom), we lose ~100mb/c
- When using WI-FI from the main device, we lose 50% of the speed at the maximum speed indicator.
- When using a wired connection from a non-main device, we lose ~50% of speed.
- When using a WI-FI connection from a non-main device, we lose ~90% of the speed.

I am waiting for your fastest response, because judging by the fact that the last software update of the devices was 1.5 years ago, I can assume that you simply killed the support of these devices.

Options
11 Reply
Re:Deco P9 cuts in half WI-FI speed
2023-02-03 03:50:32

@John_Greaves 

Hi, I am sorry that the uploaded pictures are broken. Could you mind updating it again?

By the way, May I know how long have you had the Deco P9?

Have you checked the signal source on Deco P9 whether the satellite units are on the PLC/Wi-Fi Backhaul?

Best regards.

Options
2023-02-03 06:29:42

@David-TP 

Sorry, I already fix the images and now everything should shows properly!

Options
2023-02-06 12:38:27

@David-TP @TP_LINK @AB-TP @ViP-TP @Jake-tp 
Sorry to distract you, but does anybody have any ideas or updates?

Because local support doesn't help me, and answered with template replicas like you have noise and etc.

Options
2023-02-08 02:30:26

@John_Greaves 

Hi, Thank you for your message.

May I know how long have you had Deco P9?

Did P9 work like this just after you bought the kit?

If switching RE#1 with RE#2, would the network speed on non-main Deco get better?

I noticed Deco P9 is in AP mode.  Is there also another ISP router in the apartment?

Compared with the Ethernet speed from RE#1, its wireless speed is far less than expected. Have you checked on all 3 MacBook Pros and are they all below 100m/s over 5ghz?

Please also install the beta firmware in the private message to see whether it helped or not.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards.

Options
2023-02-08 14:18:43

@David-TP Thanks for your reply!

I bought these DECOs from the US 1.5 months ago, and I had this issue from scratch. 

Yes, I use DECOs in AP mode, because if I use DECO as the main router the situation is much worse, I found this solution from one topic. I tested into router mode, but the situation was pretty much the same, the speeds were 30-50mb/s lower.

I switched RE#1 with RE#2, and now the main DECO from the living room, and the second from the bedroom:

And did new tests with another Macbook PRO M1 (Ivans-MBP-2). Previously I did a full test on Macbook PRO 2019.

Main DECO by wired:

Main DECO by wireless:

Secondary DECO by wired:

Secondary DECO by wireless:

Looks like switching of DECOs and the testing notebook doesn't help, and the situation looks the same.

@David-TP Sorry about one of my mistakes, my version of the hardware is V1.8:

Could you, please, clarify, whether is beta firmware that you share with me in private messages is compatible with my hardware version?

After that, I could provide new tests on the new firmware.

I could provide log files if you need them.

Best regards.

Options
2023-02-09 10:42:52

@David-TP 

Hi! I already updated to beta firmware:

and I did new tests:

Main (bedroom) DECO by wired:

Main (bedroom) DECO by wireless:

Looks like the situation is still pretty much the same as did.

Test for secondary DECO:

Secondary (study) DECO by weird:

Secondary (study) DECO by wireless:

The situation has become a little better, the connection is more stable, and the speed has increased by ~100mb/s. But I still can't get close speed by wireless to the speed that is possible with weird, although this speed is below the theoretical threshold of 866mb/s, and this is very sad.

How else can I help you find the problem? What information can I provide you? I can run tests with patches in the firmware.

I attached the ALL logs file after the tests, and looks like log file contains too many the same log lines: daemon.err /usr/bin/apsd: apsd_get_active_ports:214: Error: No such interface 23.

Best regards.

File:
log-2023-02-09.log.zipDownload
Options
2023-02-09 12:04:49

@John_Greaves 

Thank you very much for the further details.

Here is some information for your reference.

For P9, the powerline rate is up to 1000m/s. Usually, the real internet speed/powerline rate ratio is about 30-40%. So when RE#1 is on PLC/ WiFi backhaul, the final Ethernet speed over RE#1 is about 400-500 which is more than expected. In this way, the powerline connection between Deco units works great. But the wireless speed no matter from main P9 or RE#1 P9 is less than expected. One possible reason I could think of is wireless inference. Have you ever checked how many wireless signals around the house are on the same or adjacent channels via a WiFi analyzer?

And for P9, the maximum link speed on 5ghz is 866m/s, if the wireless condition nearby could not be improved, the other way is to seek higher wireless specifications, like Deco PX50

Thank you again.

Best regards.

Options
2023-02-09 13:33:04

@David-TP Thanks for your reply! 

I already checked wireless inference, and near my home, I only have 6 channels with 5Ghz:

And when I tested, my notebook was pretty near DECO:

@David-TP so I can assume that this is not an interference issue.

But after installing new beta firmware the wireless connectivity started working a little better.

So I can assume that everything is fine with the hardware, only there is a need to improve the firmware.

Therefore, I am ready to help you by providing any information, logs and tests.

I think that I and your other clients will be infinitely grateful to you if you revive the improvement of this platform with new updates!

Waiting for your new reply!

Best regards.

Options
2023-02-09 15:44:33 - last edited 2023-02-09 15:45:08
Options
2023-02-10 07:32:36 - last edited 2023-02-10 07:33:36

@John_Greaves 

Hi, Thanks for the message.

The new firmware for Deco P9 is still under testing and it would need a while before the firmware is finally released.

If the wireless situation around is quite clear, I think the current wireless speed from the main Deco P9 is basically the best for mobile devices when they are connected to Deco P9. As for the wireless speed gap from satellite Deco P9, there is no better suggestion available now. 

Official Firmware Beta Firmware
Main Deco Wire Connection:765-down,748-upload Wire Connection:792-down,697-upload
  Wireless Connection(5G): 364-down,458-upload Wireless Connection(5G): 323-down,561-upload
RE #1   Wire Connection:427-down,256-upload Wire Connection:521-down,382-upload
  Wireless Connection(5G):61-down,59-upload Wireless Connection(5G):94-down,94-upload

Since it was bought from eBay abroad and was produced in 2020.4 based on the SN, We have to consider it might be a secondhand device and the WiFi module ages over time.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1116

Replies: 11

Tags

Feature Request
Wi-FI slow speed