Votes

Change MAC address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

Change MAC address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Change MAC address
Change MAC address
2023-02-04 21:54:25 - last edited 2023-09-06 11:24:10
Tags: #Whitelist

My son has worked he can change the MAC address to bypass parental controls. This means my deco is essentially useless - the whole reason I spent all that money on this system was to control his screen time. There's no whitelist, and there is no manual

approval of new devices joining the network. I have to manually block each new MAC address when he connects. My only option is to change the password, reset the connections for 20+ devices and smart home devices, and hope that his siblings don't tell him the new password. This is a terrible solution, and I can see that there have been people raising this as a problem in this forum for years now.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Change MAC address-Solution
2023-09-06 11:23:41 - last edited 2023-09-06 11:24:10

@LMNOP 

Update:

Pre-Released 1.3.0 Firmware for Deco X50/X55 Adds Support for Whitelist and Matter

Hi All,

Deco X50/X55_V1 starts to support Whitelist/Mac Filtering. More models are planned and please stay tuned.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Change MAC address
2023-06-08 04:06:40

LMNOP wrote

My son has worked he can change the MAC address to bypass parental controls. This means my deco is essentially useless - the whole reason I spent all that money on this system was to control his screen time. There's no whitelist, and there is no manual

approval of new devices joining the network. I have to manually block each new MAC address when he connects. My only option is to change the password, reset the connections for 20+ devices and smart home devices, and hope that his siblings don't tell him the new password. This is a terrible solution, and I can see that there have been people raising this as a problem in this forum for years now.

@LMNOP 

Not an ideal solution I will grant you, but have you thought about restricting access of his logon by making sure he doesn't have the access permission required to change the MAC address.

I have the same problem with my grandson except in my case the computer he is using is not under my control so unfortunately I cannot implement my own suggestion :-( 

The best solution that I can come up with is to shut down my Wi-Fi system when I go to bed.

Not very elegant, but it does work

Options
Re:Change MAC address-Solution
2023-09-06 11:23:41 - last edited 2023-09-06 11:24:10

@LMNOP 

Update:

Pre-Released 1.3.0 Firmware for Deco X50/X55 Adds Support for Whitelist and Matter

Hi All,

Deco X50/X55_V1 starts to support Whitelist/Mac Filtering. More models are planned and please stay tuned.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 229

Replies: 2

Voters 1

Tags

Whitelist