TP-Link Archer AX50 USB-port, cannot configure one HDD partition as Mac Time Machine Disk- Help pls!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP-Link Archer AX50 USB-port, cannot configure one HDD partition as Mac Time Machine Disk- Help pls!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-17 11:03:11
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 build 0730

Archer AX50 - Time Machine problem:

Problem synopsis:

My new AX50 Router performs the basic routing services in a Mac environment, but I bought it to also utilise the Usb HDD facilities. So, I bought a huge HDD and proceeded to format and partition it in order to a) Create a NAS/DLNA-Media volume, and b) Create a Backup (Time Machine) volume for LAN clients and servers.  The NAS/Media volume is up and running, but I have failed getting the Backup volume operational. I have tried many options, so fast without a breakthrough.

Maybe the AX50 cannot handle more that one full partition via its USB connection? - After  trying ExFAT for both partitions and facing that Time Machine cannot use an ExFAT partition, and then trying the Apple APFS format and realising that AX50 does not support this new file format, I have reformatted and created two HPFS+ volumes. They are now both visible on the TP Link web console and on the MAC through Finder>Network. But how to get the Time Machine app. to use the Backup disk, still eludes me.

Details:

Setup: TP-Link AX50 in Router mode, access from 2022 Macbook via  WiFi,

Seagate Expansion 16 TB USB HDD connected via AX50’s USB port.

HDD formatted using Macbook “disk utility”:

Partition 1: H: TP-NAS 3TB Mac extended journalling system

Partition 2: I: Time Mdisk 13TB Mac extended journalling system

Problem: To get Macbook’s Time Machine BU to recognise and use volume Time Mdisk for backup

1. Macbook sees the the two volumes as H: and I: on Finder>Network as shares on server “TP-NAS” (which was given during partitioning volumes as alias for ONLY volume H: - not for the HDD as such - ?)
  2. Macbook’s Time Machine App. does not see any volumes to use for BU.
  3. Ref. to https://www.tp-link.com/in/support/faq/2729/ , I created a Mac sharing-only user (Archer AX50), but never managed to connect to volume I: or get prompted for any User/password.
  4. AX50 TP-Link Web console>Advanced>USB Sharing shows volumes H: (3TB) and I: (13TB)
  5. AX50 TP-Link Web console> Advanced>USB Sharing>Time Machine allows Time Machine to be ticked and allows Volume I: to be selected.
  6. On AX50>Advanced>Security>Access Control, Access Control is turned off

Out of words, out of ideas. Any help appreciated!

Options
1 Reply
Re:TP-Link Archer AX50 USB-port, cannot configure one HDD partition as Mac Time Machine Disk- Help pls!
2023-02-26 16:44:08

One weeks, - no comments. - Not even a suggestion from anybody?

I think that TP-Link AX50 has changed the UI regarding the USB handling - I doubt that Time Machine functionality is still available as on earlier Archer models ?..

- The Remote laptop (Macbook Finder) can read and write the volume share. Time Machine enabled. But Time Machine on the Macbook does not find any volume share.

HDD changed to USB stick, only one partition. Both HDD and USB of course formatted as MACOS Extended (Journalled). No difference between the HD scenario and the USB stick scenario, i.e. Mac file browser can connect and use the network drive, but not Mac Time Machine

Any ideas? - Has anybody seen the AX50 usb storage device successfully used as  Mac Time Machine disk ever?

Any merciful TP-Link employees awake?

@PePla 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 252

Replies: 1

Related Articles