Add a WAP to my home network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-19 09:12:19
Model: TD-W9970  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 0.9.1 v00a1.0

I want to add a WAP to my network to cover the 2 back rooms in the house - there's a thick wall between them and the router.

We have a smart TV/Freeview box and several wireless devices there, and have used Powerline wifi/ethernet extender TL-WPA4220 as a solution for a while. Speeds are fine, but the extender drops the connection frequently. I've replaced it but his make no difference. Our wiring isn't great.

My question is can I replace this extender with a WAP with my current router, and if I can, which WAP? If not, what wold you suggest?

Cheers

John

Options
2 Reply
Re:Add a WAP to my home network
2023-03-21 09:09:33

@Sago48 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Considering the thick wall between the router and back rooms, I think Wireless Access Point might not be a good option.

How about the distance between the router and 2 back rooms? Is there any possibility to run any cables from TD-W9960 to 2 back rooms?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Add a WAP to my home network
2023-03-21 09:30:56

@Sago48 Hi David and thanks. It's possible to run cables to the back rooms and that's what I was thinking of  - connecting the WAP to the router with a longish cable to get round the wall problem. So the WAP would be at the back of the house, and would serve both back rooms which are one above the other. If that could work I still don't have a clue about whether my router can work with a WAP. I suspect I don't understand networks enough to work it out. Although I've been putting them together for years it's all been trial and error. Do you know if there's a TP-Link WAP that will work with my TD W9970? Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 225

Replies: 2