Manual Channel Selection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Manual Channel Selection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Manual Channel Selection
Manual Channel Selection
2023-04-08 12:43:31
Model: Deco X20-DSL  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 Build 20230303 Rel. 38090

I still do not understand why Deco will not let us choose channels manually.

I have used several apps to show me what are the best and worst channels to use and Deco automatically chooses the worst of them, each and every time.

This "System Optimization" feature seems to do nothing.

I saw posts that are 3 years old asking for this basic feature, because with all do respect Deco, you may know better than me, but not with telling the best channel in my local area.

In the end, Your product has two main, basic features:

1. Make us have internet.

2. Make it stable and working properly.

Since my X20 do not know how to select the best or even the less worse channels, your device is useless (We only have 2 laptops in the network and they both work like it's 1997) and you are single-handedly make me and many other probably not buy any of your line of products ever again. I have used many tp-link products, bought my family the same ones I have used over the years and they all worked flawlessly, until I encounter the Deco family. 

This is a basic feature we all ask for many years. 

Please, bring it back and let us, the users, decide which channel is the best for us, because your solution does not work, if at all.

Thank you.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Manual Channel Selection
2023-04-09 05:39:27

@dudensp Are bands 2-4 of 5ghz banned in your country/region?

This could be the reason why your X20-DSL isn't connecting to channel 100 or later.

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options
2023-04-09 10:12:57
Hi and thank you for your answer. As far as I read about your suggestion, they are not banned in my country. Is there any other suggestion? maybe to try another firmware? It baffles me that it consistently chooses the worst channels.
Options
2023-04-12 03:35:36

@dudensp 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

For the 2.4ghz, it is rare to use channel 13 and have you noticed any performance issues on the mobile devices when 2.4ghz is on channel 13?

For 5ghz, the EU version of Deco is not allowed to use band 4 due to CE certification. Bands 2 and 3 are DFS channels mainly used for weather radars. Most routers will avoid the use of DFS channels to reduce radar interference and keep a stable wireless connection. I believe that is why bands 2 and 3 are always less occupied.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-04-12 10:08:57 - last edited 2023-04-12 10:19:10

@David-TP Thank you for taking the time to reply and explain.

I do notice unstable connection, and very very slow speeds. Sometimes, For a brief moment after pressing the optimize option, it is all well, but moments later we all have problems again.

What are your suggestion to make the router not use the rare, worst channel at 2.4ghz, or for 5ghz? Go back to a previous firmware?

This is something which is highly impacting our home since we work from home, have school from home and we cannot even keep a zoom talk with a colleague for more than 1 minute. This is simply impossible.

I would appreciate any suggestion to remedy the situation before I throw the Deco away and buy something that will allow me to change a simple channel.

Thank you again.

Edit:

I have read some numerous posts asking for this feature. In one of them you answered:

"Your point is always scanning its environment to choose the channel that is most likely to give you the best Wi-Fi",

Which is clearly not the case, based on my experience and the high volume of posts asking about the solution or asking for this to be enabled for us.

I do understand the iteration needs, time, feature pool and everything related to it in order to make it work. But if this thing has been going around with posts dating back to 2019, maybe, just maybe, either improve your software and taking your customers seriously, making this an urgent issue to be solved, or let us choose?

Without customers your company has no reason to exist, and I do believe people that has not got a solution in the past 4 years, did not stay with bad internet for this amount of time but went to your competitors that do allow this basic thing. 

The fall of Deco will sadly be on your end. We invested good money and we deserve this basic feature.

This is something you need to address seriously

Options
2023-04-14 07:02:08

Guys,

I just recently bought the new Deco Voice X20, and just found that we cannot manually choose the channel the WiFi 2.4G/5G used.

If that were the case, I would assume the Deco system would do a good job in choosing the less busy channel, and when I did a scanned, and found it somehow like to open party on a busy channel...

I would think either TP-Link deco team allow end user to have the ability to manually choose the less busy channel, or have the Deco system to be intelligent enough to choose the less busy channel.

Thank you.

Cheers

Options
2023-05-25 10:56:22

@David-TP 
Hi, any news on this?
I have a location where i have 8 Deco,but in each Deco location i a frequency what overlaps with Deco.
So i want to be able manually to change Channel in specific location, or Deco app to change based on each Deco.
Not to switch all of them on 1 channel. 8 Deco on the same channel is a issue,big issue especially if you have a 3-4 level building and neighbors have Wifi alos what overlpas with your own.

Best Regards
Options