Architecture / Topologie questions for a house network.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-12 15:47:33 - last edited 2023-04-13 07:24:21
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on a full Tp-link Deco architecture for my parent's house :

My goal in this topology was to have a full 2.5Gb network.

I still have a few questions about this :

- I made this architecture to keep the nodes of the network into the router mode, would this be doable like in my schematic ? I mean with the vlan interfaces on the main router and his 2.5Gb port in a L2 mode with 802.1Q.

- If this is possible, how to control the bandwidth on each vlan on the main router ? Will I end with 1.2Gb for my internet connection ?

- If this is not possible, I will have to do a full access point network. However, in practice, will the "full Deco intelligent unified wifi mesh" experience be as good ?

- If any of these aren't good, any comments that could help will be welcome.

In advance, thank you.

Excuse my english, and I hope I didn't break any of the forum rules.

Alex L.

Alex.
Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Architecture / Topologie questions for a house network.-Solution
2023-04-12 16:39:04 - last edited 2023-04-12 19:13:04

@Alex44 

Hey

Speaking honestly, if you are going to spend that much money on devices and want to have VLANs running, then I would recommend you look at implementing an Omada Network rather than anything based on Deco..  It would give you a lot more control and you could remotely admin every part of the network.  What you are trying to setup is a very advanced home network, with your budget Deco wouldnt by my choice.

From experience, when you start pushing more than 6x decos it gets messy..   better going for EAPs

In this Deco setup you may have VLAN issues, the main deco should be inline from the ISP router which is not how you have designed this.   It also would take some fiddling to get the Internet VLAN trunked over to the main deco, then back down untagged..   This is not really what the deco is designed for, you couldnt send it back down the same port, you would amost need a 2nd port connection to the switch on the seperate VLAN.   Its messy..  Omada would be better for you

Just off the top of head..

ER605 vs or 707 M2 router to create the VLANs.   Have this beside your ISP router

TL-SG3210 Switch

OC200 controller

EAP6xx   whatever model you fancy in whatever quantity.. 

That would offer you full 2.5gb (or faster if budget extends) and you can enable MESH for the APs you dont have cabled in.    It would cost a tad more, but honestly a better option

Just my 2 cents :)

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-04-12 18:47:35 - last edited 2023-04-12 19:11:01

@Alex44 

Hey

No worries, glad to be of help!

Ah happy days, scalability is the main concern.  If you do decide to go omada you may however discover you dont need as many APs, as the EAPs are more business orientated they tend to perform better overall in my findings.    The Deco is grand for 90% of home users, but what you are looking to achieve and the budget you are spending, Omada would be a better choice.

If you go Omada the L2 switch can be centrally managed by the controller, therefore you can pass the L3 SDN Interfaces straight to the router as you require.   Gives you the option of multiple VLANs for IOT, Guests, Home, LAN etc..   you might find the below video helpful, its a complete Omada setup.   Note however the hardware has progressed since this video was made, but the setup hasnt changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i17jvrIjD0

Yes Wifi 6E is available, the EAP690E HD was announced a month or so ago, its available to purchase here in Ireland so hopefully the same where you are..  Its available in the UK also (just checked)

Finally, the Business forums are the best place for anything Omada... im usually on there most of the time and you will find better answers there.  There should be plenty of food for thought!

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
2023-04-12 16:39:04 - last edited 2023-04-12 19:13:04

@Alex44 

Hey

Speaking honestly, if you are going to spend that much money on devices and want to have VLANs running, then I would recommend you look at implementing an Omada Network rather than anything based on Deco..  It would give you a lot more control and you could remotely admin every part of the network.  What you are trying to setup is a very advanced home network, with your budget Deco wouldnt by my choice.

From experience, when you start pushing more than 6x decos it gets messy..   better going for EAPs

In this Deco setup you may have VLAN issues, the main deco should be inline from the ISP router which is not how you have designed this.   It also would take some fiddling to get the Internet VLAN trunked over to the main deco, then back down untagged..   This is not really what the deco is designed for, you couldnt send it back down the same port, you would amost need a 2nd port connection to the switch on the seperate VLAN.   Its messy..  Omada would be better for you

Just off the top of head..

ER605 vs or 707 M2 router to create the VLANs.   Have this beside your ISP router

TL-SG3210 Switch

OC200 controller

EAP6xx   whatever model you fancy in whatever quantity.. 

That would offer you full 2.5gb (or faster if budget extends) and you can enable MESH for the APs you dont have cabled in.    It would cost a tad more, but honestly a better option

Just my 2 cents :)

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Architecture / Topologie questions for a house network.
2023-04-12 18:32:46

Philbert wrote

[...] 

[...]

[...] 

@Philbert 

First of all, thank you for the answer, which is quite complete and detailed!

About the number of the Decos, I have designed this network with more than I need for a scalability purpose but I note this advice.

For the second part, that is exactly what I was worrying about. And I am stuck with one ethernet port to my L2 core.
I did not considerate the Omada range at first, but I will look forward into it thanks to your comment.

Do Omada will get wifi 6E anytime soon?  

Alex.
Options
2023-04-12 18:47:35 - last edited 2023-04-12 19:11:01

@Alex44 

Hey

No worries, glad to be of help!

Ah happy days, scalability is the main concern.  If you do decide to go omada you may however discover you dont need as many APs, as the EAPs are more business orientated they tend to perform better overall in my findings.    The Deco is grand for 90% of home users, but what you are looking to achieve and the budget you are spending, Omada would be a better choice.

If you go Omada the L2 switch can be centrally managed by the controller, therefore you can pass the L3 SDN Interfaces straight to the router as you require.   Gives you the option of multiple VLANs for IOT, Guests, Home, LAN etc..   you might find the below video helpful, its a complete Omada setup.   Note however the hardware has progressed since this video was made, but the setup hasnt changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i17jvrIjD0

Yes Wifi 6E is available, the EAP690E HD was announced a month or so ago, its available to purchase here in Ireland so hopefully the same where you are..  Its available in the UK also (just checked)

Finally, the Business forums are the best place for anything Omada... im usually on there most of the time and you will find better answers there.  There should be plenty of food for thought!

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-04-12 19:05:04 - last edited 2023-04-12 19:06:57

@Philbert 

You convince me to dig into the Omada territory. I think I will rework my architecture and plan my budget with those equipments.

I will lock this topic tomorrow and tick your answer as the solution.

If I have some new questions I will open a new topic in the Omada section.

I will also check the youtube link you sent.

Philbert wrote

[...]

[...]

I was also concerned about compatibility and standards, between what I can buy here in France and the stuff i could buy from UK or an other foreign shop.

I know that the legislation on frequency ranges does not laugh.

Alex.

Alex.
Options
2023-04-12 19:09:11

@Alex44 

In terms of Omada, they are sold in regions so France / UK / Ireland will all be the same.  The regions are   EU   USA   CAN    etc etc..

My models are all the EU version and I bought 2 of them from UK, the other 2 from Ireland..     Unless you buy outside the UK / EUROPE region, it will be EU model you will get

Options
2023-04-13 07:24:13

Thank you for all thoses informations  @Philbert, I close the topic, see you in the Omada ones.

Alex.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 503

Replies: 6

Related Articles