Uk Cyber Essentials Assessment

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-28 11:15:56
Model: Deco X80-5G  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.1.0

I am approaching my Cyber Essentials re-assessment, a certification that I need to work with the UK Government.

Previously I had an old MR1200 which gave me full control and visibility over the security settings of the device. On the new X80-5G I can see/change only minimal security settings. I note that TP-Link are promoting their Homeshield product for enhanced protection, but even then the details behind just what Homeshield will do, from a security perspective is very high level.

Can anyone tell me how I can describe, and demonstrate, the security settings of the X80-5G in the Cyber Essentials assessment - in order to meet the required certidfiaction standard? 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Uk Cyber Essentials Assessment
2023-05-06 11:59:36

@spconx 

Hi, Thank you very much for your time and patience.

The security settings in HomeShield are barely configurable and I don't think it allows self-customization. Since you mentioned MR1200(Do you mean MR600?), which kinds of securities settings you have configured on the MR router? Maybe you could give me some examples, I could check whether Deco X80-5G or any other Deco LTE/5G models are capable of such settings.

Thank you again.

Best regards.

Options
2023-05-17 17:11:45

@David-TP 

Sorry for my delayed responce, been busy .....

Yes my mistake, I meant the MR600. The issue around the Cyber-Essentials certification predominantly relates to getting confirmation if the X80-5G has a firewall installed, what is it (interms of its functionality & scope) and how do I go about configuring it.If i cant confirm there is a firewall, check its settings and may be mdofy them then that is an issue for me, as I will need to install and maintain actve firewalls on all devices sitting behind he X80-5G to be compliant. In effect I will have to treat the X80-5G as an untrusted access point.

From TP-Link all I am getting is links to the public websites on HomeShield, which though very colourful, dont actually tell you much. I have looked at the Avira site, but again I am struggling to see what they are offering Deco customers through thier partnership with TP-Link.

It may be the standard device/service has all the protection I need, or may be I need the Pro version of HomeShield, but at the moment I have no idea where I stand with this unit.

Options
2023-05-18 09:12:18

@spconx 

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me.

Deco X80-5G also supports IPV4 SPI firewall(enabled by fault and could not be turned off), IPV6 firewall(enabled by default and allow setting up Inbound Firewall Rules. quite like MR600), and DDoS protection(under HomeShield Pro, not allowed further customization). It does not have service filtering and IP&MAC binding on MR600.

So according to your description, I think Deco X80-5G might not be a proper choice.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 177

Replies: 3

Related Articles