Archer C80, problem with Smart Connect.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-03 19:51:59 - last edited 2023-05-04 01:45:10
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.12.10 Build 230208 Rel.38878n(4555)

Dear @Kevin_Z good day.

I have the following problem on Archer C80 V1 which I use in Access Point Mode, and EasyMesh feature is not enabled (because EasyMesh still can't work in AP mode)

On the Archer C80 V1, Smart Connect is turned on, the same password and the same network name are set on 2.4GHZ and 5GHz, but it constantly happens that when I go out of range with the Wi-Fi signal and return to range again, the phone constantly connects only on the 2.4GHz network and will never automatically switch to the 5GHz network even if I move right next to the Archer C80, and I stand there even for 10 minutes... sad

The only solution is to then turn off the Wi-Fi on the phone and turn it back on, and only then the phone connects to the 5GHz network.

I also have an Archer AX73 router at home and this problem does not occur on it, it only exists on the Archer C80 V1 models and I can tell you this with confidence because I own Archer C80s V1 x 3pcs and the same problem occurs on each of them!

The phone I'm using is a Samsung Galaxy A71!

Let me also mention that the problem happened before and also existed before I updated to newer firmware that also supports EasyMesh!

Please try it at your place and you will see what I am talking about and that this problem exists on the Archer C80!

Thanks and regards!

TRUST NO ONE, THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!
Options
7 Reply
Re:Archer C80, problem with Smart Connect.
2023-05-04 02:07:50

Hello @zexoni70 

Thank you for posting on the TP-Link Community.

Firstly, I would like to point out that Smart Connect relies on an advanced algorithm that not only automatically determines which band is best for each device, but also constantly monitors the overall status of each device to determine if and when a particular device would benefit from being automatically reassigned to a different band. Visit the following website to understand how Smart Connect works on the routers:

What is Smart Connect

Secondly, the client device, not the router, decides whether to connect to another Wi-Fi network. The router only recommends you stay or change. You could try disabling Smart Connect and splitting it into two different SSIDs (2.4GHz and 5GHz). For example - keep the IoT devices, IP cameras, etc. on the 2.4GHz band and high-bandwidth demanding devices on the 5GHz band.

Regarding the issue you're reporting, can I know the details below? We will check to see if there is anything we can do to improve it.

1. Except for the Samsung Galaxy A71, how about other wireless devices, are they also sticking to the 2.4G network all the time until you turn off the Wi-Fi and then turn it back on?

2. Are all three Archer C80s connected to the same network or do they belong to different networks when you tested the Smart Connect? How about the AX73? If they are all in the same network, can I know how are they connected to each other?

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-05-04 08:19:59

Dear @Kevin_Z thanks. my home network is configured like this:

ONT ZTE F680 (192.168.1.1) -----> Archer AX73 (Router mode) -----> TL-SG3428X and all my Wired devices are connected to TL-SG3428X including 3 pieces Archer C80 (Access Point mode )

The default getavey is Archer AX73 192.168.0.1 while I assigned each of the Archer C80s fixed IP addresses (192.168.0.11x) and all three C80s are in the same network and connected with a LAN cable in the TL-SG3428X.

This morning I also tried the iPhone 11 and iPhone 13 devices from friends and everything is OK with them and they have no problem switching between 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks and always choose the 5GHz network, while this problem seems to exist only with Samsung phones, because I also have a business Galaxy A50 phone also has that problem!

As I'm working today and I'm not able to test everything, I'll try it over the weekend and I'll write you how everything works, but considering that the iPhone doesn't have that problem, I think it's just a problem with the Samsung phone...

But as I said before Samsung doesn't have that problem when switching to Wi-Fi network from Archer AX73 and that's strange to me and that's why I thought the problem only exists on Archer C80.

Best regards!

TRUST NO ONE, THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!
Options
2023-05-04 08:35:05

@zexoni70 

Completely understand your concerns. I agree that both the C80 and the Samsung Android phones may need to be further analyzed.

Please let me know what you will find out with more tests, and I will also report this issue to the engineering for investigation.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-07-23 00:17:19

Hello @Kevin_Z .

My name is Alexandre

after the last update of the C80 (US) I have noticed several strange symptoms.

the first of them and I believe the most critical one is the failure in smart connect, the devices have prioritized the 2.4ghz network instead of the 5ghz network. Thus leaving the bandwidth usage reduced.

another flaw I noticed is that when enabling guest networks. the same connect but do not navigate.

Do you already have any feedback from the development and engineering team?

Alexandre F.
Options
2023-07-26 02:15:38

@Alefurquim1 

Are you saying this issue occurs after you upgrade the C80 firmware to the latest public official version?

Actually, we are providing an early-released version in the following thread, maybe you can upgrade and install this one to monitor the connectivity.

Pre-Released Firmware Supports DoH and IoT Network for Archer C80 is Ready for Trial

But again, I hope I've explained how Smart Connect works on the C80 router in this link, please check it again.

Options
2023-07-27 22:20:34

Hello  @Kevin_Z !

Yes, the issues started to occur after the official update.

The version downloaded via OTA.

Firmware:

1.12.10 Build 230208 Rel.38878n(5553)

Hardware:

Archer C80 1.0

I'll try to upgrade to this pre-release version as offered.

But reinforcing the point that this update reported above, generated problems with smart connect, where 5ghz is not prioritized and visiting networks in both bands do not navigate.

Thank you and I will let you know after the update of the pre version

Alexandre F.
Options
2023-08-16 15:42:32

@Alefurquim1 does it help after upgrading the beta firmware. i own 2 tp link routers. archer c6 & c80. both of them having issues with smart connect.. i have poco f5 and MI 11x mobiles. when i enable smart connect it forces me to to connect 2.4ghz as default.. i've been done all the R& D but couldn't fix it.. tired of this and now using seprate ssid for both..

i have a RE 205 which switches 2.4 to 5ghz without any issues.. TP link really release a fix on smart connect. since it doesn't seems like a feature. its annoying to customers.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1135

Replies: 7

Related Articles