Deco has temporarily switched your Wi-FI channel width to 80 MHz due to detected radar signals.

Deco has temporarily switched your Wi-FI channel width to 80 MHz due to detected radar signals.

64 Reply
Re:Deco has temporarily switched your Wi-FI channel width to 80 MHz due to detected radar signals.
2023-12-15 00:15:52

@IntrovertSins 

I purchased the Deco xe200 and use it in access point mode. I don't even see a setting to determine the channel width, and it's constantly on 80 MHz no exceptions as far as I can tell. As far as I'm concerned that does not comply with the hardware specifications or the speeds that seem imaginary on the 5 GHz band (and since I don't own any Wi-fi 6e devices the 6 GHz is theoretical).

There's an option to optimize selection automatically but it always ops for channel 44, even after determining it is congested still reverting back to it with only 80 MHz.

This and the speed I get are not compliant with the hardware and the marketing around this top-of-the-line product for Wi-Fi 6E only second to the Wi-Fi 7 deco, supposedly uses 320 MHz channels but seems more hypothetical and theoretical when I don't even get 160.

I don't understand why higher channel numbers such as available on Netgear products are not ever chosen while on my Netgear products they are always the default (channels 148-160 or so). If this continues this would be a class action lawsuit Relevant claim and issue that also can be addressed with the Better Business Bureau. I expect this to be fixed and have some kind of manual control over channel selection in general. and there are no radar issues in my location at all, there is however a lot of Wi-Fi congestion around these channels and that is not OK restrict and forcefully so to channels that are not usable and widths that are covered by devices that cost a fraction of msrp $799 deco xe200

Options
Re:Deco has temporarily switched your Wi-FI channel width to 80 MHz due to detected radar signals.
2024-02-15 01:22:16

@candybars 

Agreed. I bought the BE85 (BE22000), and was looking to buy additional 85's to pair, but am glad I have not. I spent $1k on a pair, and they're just saying "sorry we falsely advertised the speeds, and you have issues. Better luck next time." This is not going to sit well. I'm engineer by profession, so would love the actual explanation besides, "it works as intended, we promise," when it clearly does not. I didn't upgrade to WiFi7, upgrade my fiber (because I WFH), to get WiFi 6 speeds at best.

I don't really want to return it, I'm excited about WiFi7, but sounds like this was rushed out, and "they'll hopefully fix it later" kind of deal.

Options
2024-02-26 15:23:09 - last edited 2024-02-26 15:23:26

@IntrovertSins

I just installed an XE75 Pro system yesterday. No issue on initial install.

Got to work this morning and saw a notification that my Deco changed from 160 to 80MHz due to detected radar signals.

As I sit here contemplating the issue (knowing I'm nowhere near an airport and I live on several acres of my own private land with the nearest neighbor over 300 yards away and a ways down the mountainside) - I wonder if my vehicle (and others vehicles) could be causing this issue?

My vehicle has radar-based cross-traffic collision detection in the rear bumper. I have to do a bit of forward-reverse wiggling to get out of my driveway and wonder if the radar kicking on while in reverse could have caused this....

I dug around on GMCs website to confirm the cross-traffic detection is radar based & the parking sensors are ultrasonic. 

Has anyone (user or TP-Link staff) considered this to be an issue? It seems from forum posts that nobody knows where the radar signal issue is coming from and most people are nowhere near an airport.

Could the culprit be radar tech on vehicles?

Food for thought. I'm going to play around with this once it's switched back to 160MHz, go throw my vehicle in reverse for a few moments, and see if it kicks the signal down due to "radar" detection again.

Options
2024-02-26 17:33:18

@JohnLawyer You are incorrect. The FCC 100% requires the behavior TP-Link is doing, and if ANY router has the option to disable the fallback feature it is not allowed to be sold in the US. If such a router is found in the US or if you use 3rd party firmware to unlock such a feature, you are personally liable for massive fines. You should google the FCC rules and regulations regarding DFS channels before you get people in trouble.

Options
2024-03-08 08:40:11

@AngerMCS So, TP-LINK knows this, and instead advertises speeds which they know people can't get due to this channel width hz limitations. AKA, great way to advertise WiFi7, but then by the time customers figure out what's going on, it's too late to return? That seems kind of like situation here. Or, they've released it, know it's an issue, but they hope the ostrich in the sand strategy would work best?

Options
2024-03-08 10:35:38

@IntrovertSins 

You could try setting up a separate  IOT network for 2.4Ghz devices 

Options
2024-03-08 11:36:16 - last edited 2024-03-08 11:39:24

@IntrovertSins 

Hello all, I did not think this post would get this many replies but it seems to be quite an issue for alot of people, I think you are more likely to notice this if you are on a higher speed connection like i am now and owned and used both the XE75 and XE75 pro i felt TP link locked wifi channel model was a  big negative when  forced by law to implement DFS. 

Currently using the Asus XT9 3 pack and with manual channels  ( UK) selected for 2.4 , 5 and 5 Wifi Backhaul node links have been getting near top speeds on wireless using Wifi 6 near 850-900mbps on speed tests. (Been solid for months now little complaints from the family 3 storey house, Gigabit connection )  

So the DFS strikes can be managed if allowed to be manually set and does require the end user to do a little work and investigation as each location can vary alot and also i think the routers DFS can be triggered by non official DFS sources mistakenly in some cases. 

I was disappointed when doing my research on the TP link products XE75 and Pro version that no reviewers mentioned DFS strikes and the real world problems end users on faster connections could face.

Still think TP link make great products as the Deco M9 mesh which i replaced due to having faster speeds was brilliant and think the Deco app is well designed. Will be wary about upgrading to Wifi-7 though.  

Options
2024-03-17 03:50:54

@David-TP  hey guys. Same problem here. My mesh is composed by a x90 and a x60. X90 works fine always with 160MHz, but x60 is like the guys noticed in the previous comments, dropping to 80MHz. I was opened a new topic about it, but now I find this one and realized that David give me a robotic and stupid answer there about the problem. Thanks to waste my time David 🤖, you did the best on it. 

Options
2024-03-17 12:03:27

@ksimonassi I have three XE 75 Pro's sitting in a box because of this.  Every time it would switch to the 80mhz I ran into issues with my connected devices and Wi-Fi was significantly slower.   Out of frustration, I purchased a couple of Eero Pro 6E's and haven't had a single issue and I get the faster Wi-Fi speeds.

I don't buy the response from TP-Link on this issue.  They also should be honest about the product speeds due to this issue when selling the products. 

Options
2024-03-24 19:06:36

@AngerMCS 

So, then, is TP-LINK falsely advertising speeds for its Wi-FI 7 routers than? That is, people can't actually take full use of its channels? Where is this disclaimer noted on the packaging that "If you live near airports or encounter other radar, you may experience degraded speeds, etc.."  Because, when people are buying WI-FI 7, that's what they're buying. They're expecting Wi-FI 7 speeds, not Wi-F 6/6E. 

Options