Deco has temporarily switched your Wi-FI channel width to 80 MHz due to detected radar signals.

Deco has temporarily switched your Wi-FI channel width to 80 MHz due to detected radar signals.

64 Reply
Re:Deco has temporarily switched your Wi-FI channel width to 80 MHz due to detected radar signals.
2023-08-16 18:58:38

@JohnLawyer 

Unfortunately not a lot you can do apart from either

keep at 80Mhz  ( slower overall but more reliable ) put up with the auto switching or choose another manufacturer that lets you manually assign channels ( Asus Aimesh ) 

TP-link will not improve things as it's working as designed by them. 

Options
Re:Deco has temporarily switched your Wi-FI channel width to 80 MHz due to detected radar signals.
2023-08-22 09:40:58

I'm nowhere near an airport but my X75 Pro keeps switching due to radar detection.
This "feature" and caveat is not explained when you purchase these routers. 
It's deceptive marketing. I'm returning mine through Amazon. It looks like they are no longer on sale where I am so perhaps they realise there is a problem.

Options
2023-08-23 00:21:38

Can we please have a reply from TP-Link explaining why we can't turn this annoying "feature" off while other routers can???

Options
2023-08-23 14:08:40

@IntrovertSins Having the same issue and wondering if it's related to the mesh dropping packets.  I think I'm going to do an Amazon return as tp-link doesn't seem bothered to look at a fix.

Options
2023-08-23 19:27:32
Which is disappointing. Even more so, they won’t just outright say it, instead of acting like most of us aren’t capable of understanding or mentioning this in their marketing. At the very least, let us test it on our own, or give us a second channel band to select from to see if it stops, the 5Ghz band is huge. Keeping it locked around 40 seems confusing when other companies don’t lock theirs down.
Options
2023-08-24 04:00:25

kubbie wrote

What's the advantage of using the 160mhz channels vs the 80mhz channels? Do you get a speed increase with 160mhz?

Yes, at 80Mhz the maximum client sync rate will be 1200 mbps as opposed to 2400 mbps. 

Options
2023-08-24 04:18:48 - last edited 2023-08-24 04:20:08

IntrovertSins wrote

TP-link will not improve things as it's working as designed by them. 

Except that it's not TP-Link that designed it or wrote the code to implement it.

TP-Link must obey the requirements set by standards regulation bodies and wireless driver developers must adhere to the requirements set by them when developing WiFi drivers as well.

Admittedly it does sound like there is something wrong here and that does need to be investigated, though how one would do that I'm not sure.

But equally maybe it's not an incorrect behavior, if some random device is emitting signals at a DFS frequency in a regulated range then any device that's subject to these regulations must act as required by the standard.

A bit like being between a rock and a hard place, ;(

What is worth considering is that for router models that have only one 5Ghz radio (such as the XE75) the whole range of 5Ghz wireless channels should be available for use so there's more possibility to get the contiguous 8 channels needed for 160 Ghz operation. But I'm not sure there are 8 contiguous non-DFS channels anywhere in the spectrum ... so TP-Link might be stuck I think.

Options
2023-08-24 09:55:00

@raven-au  I don't see how TP-Link are "stuck", given that this router is unique in having this problem while other routers don't?

just give us a settings toggle in the app to turn this off? If it was a legal requirement then it would affect all routers and it doesn't. Other routers can turn off this behaviour.

Options
2023-08-24 10:51:36

JohnLawyer wrote

@raven-au  I don't see how TP-Link are "stuck", given that this router is unique in having this problem while other routers don't?

just give us a settings toggle in the app to turn this off? If it was a legal requirement then it would affect all routers and it doesn't. Other routers can turn off this behaviour.

There's an option in WiFi-Settings->2.4-GHz-&-5GHz-Network->Advanced->Channel-Width-for-5GHz which allows you to choose between 80 and 160 MHz. In reality it allows you to set 80 MHz to avoid the problems of switching. Fortunately I haven't had problems with 160 MHz yet.

As I have said already, to use 160MHz I'm think you must use DFS channels (certainly that is the case here in Australia, even if the full 5GHz channel list is used) so it is not legally possible to ignore anything that looks like a DFS frequency whether it really is or not.

This isn't something TP Link have have control over.

Options
2023-08-24 11:00:11

@raven-au  this is not true, please stop posting incorrect information. Most routers either have it disabled by default or a setting to toggle it on or off. Here's an article by HowToGeek about it (I was prevented by the forum software from posting the link, but it's easy to find)

There is no reason why TP Link can't put this as a setting toggle and allow us to turn it off if we choose to. This is exactly what other manufacturers do. 

Options