Deco X90 and X95 Ethernet Backhaul

2023-06-13 09:35:06
Model: Deco X95  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: 1.1.7

Hi There

I have spent a lot of time trying to solve this problem using all the TP-Link online help tools. I have been unable to solve this problem.

I am running 4 Deco X90’s and 2 Deco X95’s. All up to date with the latest firmware. They are all connected to a Cisco 3560 48 Port Gigabit PoE switch. They are running in access point mode as this puts them in the correct subnet. Running them in Router mode causes other connection issues but still gives the same problem as described below.

The Problem

I have tried connecting all the Deco’s to the Switch using the 2.5GB ports on the Deco’s. When I do this the Deco disables to LAN port on the Deco’s close enough to the main Deco and connects using Wi-Fi. This causes all kinds of different configurations every time a Deco is switched on and off and renders the LAN connection unused. Cable connections at 1GB should be better than Wi-Fi backhaul.

If I connect all the Deco’s on the 1GB ports, they connect using the LAN but limit all the connections to 100MB. If I connect any other devices on the same cables and ports they connect at 1GB. This speed limitation renders my 300MB internet connection limited.

Are there any suggestions as to what to do next?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco X90 and X95 Ethernet Backhaul
2023-06-14 07:08:51

@Jaco_M 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Can I have a picture of your current network layout:

• When all 6*Deco X90/95 are connected to the Cisco switch via 2.5G ports if any Deco is switched on or off, the nearest Deco will switch from Ethernet Backhaul to WiFi Backhaul.
  • But if all  6 Decos are connected via 1G ports, all units would stay on Ethernet Backhaul but the port speed is up to 100m/s.

Did I get the issue correctly?

And were you able to reproduce this issue most of the time?

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2023-06-15 08:49:16

@David-TP 

Hi David

Your picture is correct. And when connected to the 1GB ports it looks exactly like that. Only problem is that the connections are limited to 100mb.

When connected to the 2,5GB ports the config changes every time the power goes on and off. They connect to the main deco on Wi-Fi and the ethernet on the main Deco is disconnected/disabled. Sometimes the decos connect to each other on Wi-Fi and sometimes on ethernet and then connect to the main deco on Wi-Fi. Sometimes two or three connect to the main deco direct on Wi-Fi. And the 2 Decos that are too far from the main deco connects via ethernet to one of the other decos and then hops via wi-fi to the main deco. This scenario is very dynamic and changes config all the time.

It would be nice to have a setting someware in the software to set the deco to use the ethernet backhaul as a default, regardless of the port used.

Regards

Jaco

Options
2023-06-20 08:20:09 - last edited 2023-06-20 08:27:48

@Jaco_M 

Hi, Thank you very much for the update.

Normally, Ethernet Backhaul has a higher priority than Wireless Backhaul once the Ethernet Cable is detected. Whether during further troubleshooting with users, we do see some switches have trouble transferring the standard IEEE 1905.1 protocol that is used for Ethernet Backahul between Decos. (Q5+Q6 on General questions about Ethernet Backhaul)

If you also enable the Loop detection on the switch, is there any chance that you could temporarily disable the detection on the ports that connected to Deco, then enable it again once the Ethernet Backhaul is set up successfully?

As for the limited speed when all Decos are connected to switch via 1G port, is it only the Link/negotiate speed from the switch that is capped at 100m/s?How about the wireless speed from the main Deco X95?

At the same time, I would like to follow up on your case via email in case I need forward it to the engineers for further assistance.

Please also check whether you have got an email from us.

best regards.

Options
2023-06-29 07:29:52
Hi TP-Link Support We had a remote support session scheduled that was to start about 30 minutes ago. The support person from your team has not connected. Are we still going to do the remote support?
Options
2023-11-22 23:43:40
Hi, was this issue ever solved? I’m considering the same configuration. Kind regards Patrick
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 957

Replies: 5

Related Articles