Smart Action: T310/T315 Temperature or Humidity Automation Doesn't Take Effect

2023-07-07 13:09:36 - last edited 2023-08-08 01:32:52

This Article Applies to:

Tapo T310
Tapo T315

Issue Description/Phenomenon:

If you are experiencing issues with the automation created using Tapo T310/T315 and it is not functioning as expected, please check if you fall into one of the following situations.

To ensure a proper understanding of the activation logic employed in Tapo Automation for the Temperature and Humidity sensor, it is essential to take note of the following:

If you are utilizing temperature or humidity changes from the Tapo T310/T315 sensor as a trigger for your automation, please make sure that the changed value must cross the set threshold to activate the automation as intended. If the value is equal to the threshold or the changed behavior does not match the set Trigger condition (e.g., Goes “Above" or “Below"), the automation will not be activated.

For example, creating an Automation with Trigger: When T310 temperature goes above 20℃.

Changes Automation Activated? Note

Rise from 18℃ to 22℃

Rise from 20℃ to 21℃

Yes /
Rise from 18℃ to 20℃ No The changed value (20℃) equals the set threshold, it does not go above (cross) 20℃.
Rise from 21℃ to 25℃ No

1. The initial value is already above 20℃, any subsequent increases will no longer trigger the automation.

2. No "goes above 20℃" behavior occurs.

Drops from 25℃ to 19℃ No The change is not the preset behavior: "Goes Above".

Note: If you're not in one of the mentioned situations here below, please refer to Common Troubleshooting Tips at the end to check and ensure all settings are being configured correctly.

1. Case One:

- Effective time: Always

- Current value is already reached the set threshold or range when creating the automation.

E.g. Automation: When T310 temperature goes above 20℃, turn on P100.

If the current temperature is already 25℃ when creating the automation, the automation will not be activated immediately since there is no value change after the rule is created. 

Solution:

1. Update Tapo APP to Android 2.16.110 or iOS 2.16.103, or higher version.

2. Create a new automation rule. Or make a slight adjustment to the current automation then save it again

2. Case Two:

- Effective time: Custom (e.g. 8:00 am - 15:00 pm)

- Detected value reaches the set threshold or range before the effective start time. 

E.g. Automation: From 8:00 am to 15:00 pm, when T310 humidity goes below 70%, turn on P100.

If the humidity drops to 60% before 8:00 am and maintains below 70%, P100 will not be turned on after 8:00 am because the humidity does not go below 70%.

Solution:

<08/08/2023 Updated> The automation logic has been optimized, update Tapo APP to Android 2.16.110 or iOS 2.16.103, or higher version.

Common Troubleshooting Tips <Tapo T310/T315 Automation Is Not Working>

1. Ensure device firmware, Tapo hub, and Tapo APP are updated. 

2. Check if the automation rule is set correctly. (Trigger and Action device, trigger value, Above/Below, Effective time, etc)

3. Check if the detected value is updated in time in the APP or on the screen (For T315 only).

4. Check if there are any disconnection issues, such as the sensor disconnecting from the Tapo hub, or the Tapo hub disconnecting from the router network. If there is, ensure you're getting a good and reliable connection by modifying the wireless settings on the router or adjusting the location of the T310/T315 and the Tapo hub.

5. Try to create a new automation rule, or edit and save the existing rule again. The newly saved automation will check the current status of the device and make an immediate evaluation. If the temperature or humidity at that moment meets the triggering conditions of the automation, the corresponding automation rule will be activated immediately.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
9 Reply
Re:Smart Action: T310/T315 Temperature or Humidity Automation Doesn't Take Effect
2023-10-20 17:09:30

@Wayne-TP 

Hello,
temperature automation is completely useless in this case. 
If I want to control the heating, the temperature in the room is e.g. 18°C, switching on the P100 is below 19°C and switching it off is above 20°C, the automation will not start. 

The shortcuts I use to set the automation are also useless. I had the idea of setting a heating shortcut for a standard week, a shortcut for still 21°C and a shortcut for still 19°C. When switching these shortcuts nothing happens, no automation takes place. 

Also setting up automations is very complicated and unusable. You like to flaunt the name smart, but there are no smart functions. A regular wireless thermostat is much simpler and most importantly works.
Another thing that is sorely lacking is the ability to set the automation ALL triggers will activate the automation. It doesn't even solve the effective time. Example: I want the P100 to trigger if the door is closed and the motion sensor is active. This simply cannot be done. Any trigger in the group will turn on this automation. 

One last thing I have on this topic. How is it possible that the automation setting for temperature can only be adjusted by 1°C? Are we really in the 21st century? I would expect such a possibility in a mechanical thermostat and not in a digital sensor that sends the temperature to 1 decimal place.

Tapo has pretty well done cameras, lights, LED strips. It's a little worse with the switches, which sometimes don't respond, don't turn on the lights, or there is a delay. As far as motion sensors, open doors, unfortunately I don't see the use until automation ALL triggers will activate.

Pavel

Options
Re:Smart Action: T310/T315 Temperature or Humidity Automation Doesn't Take Effect
2023-10-25 10:17:41

@PavelV 

I 100% agree with the above post! I have invested in 2 Tapo smart sensors T310 and 10 smart plugs T115, 1 smart hub H100 and a C220 camera. Despite the fact that the camera and plugs themselves are of good quality, the so-called smart automation with the sensors is absolutely unusable! I have an office space with electric heating. If this room is used in the winter, I want this heating to be able to be turned on and off remotely (e.g. an hour in advance), and to only heat between a minimum and maximum temperature that I set myself. I've tried everything but this simply doesn't work!! Would love your feedback!

Options
2024-01-10 18:54:50

Sorry for "necroing" this thread, but has any progress been made into actually making automation usable for temperature control?

I'm trying to set up a wi-fi power socket to turn on a heater when below certain temperatures, but also within certain times of day and it flat out doesn't work if the temperature is below the set range when that time of day comes.

Does anyone know of an alternate app that can be used to ... you know, perform a check every minute and turn on a heater if the temp is low or something? Simple stuff like that?

Options
2024-01-18 04:32:44

@Wayne-TP We are having a similar problem. In our case the p115 is turning an extractor on to lower the temperature, but not turning off again, reducing the temperature too far.

Options
2024-03-23 10:51:40

@Wayne-TP 

Just adding my voice here to say that temperature automations simply do not work for me despite trying all the troubleshooting suggestions.

Options
2024-03-25 07:56:48

@homerjam 

You may share more details by starting a new post Start a New Thread, such as device's info, smart action configurations, things you have tried, etc. Our team and other experience users would be happy to provide our suggestions. 

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-03-25 17:00:29

@Wayne-TP how about doing some tests yourselves simulating imperfect conditions, wifi dropouts etc. I have a T315 and a couple of smart plugs, latest app/firmware, I have an automation which turns on the plugs at 7am and another to turn off at 10pm. Within in this time window I also have an automation that turns off the plugs at 22 degrees and another that turns on the plugs below 20 degrees. This is the absolute basic use case for these sensors - replacing a traditional thermostat. Surely the number of complaints and people with the same issue are enough to warrant some investment in your apparently defective products?

Options
2024-03-27 06:08:11

@homerjam 

Tapo Smart Action is a cloud-based feature. Disconnection of the internet or WiFi will cause automation to malfunction.

Options
2024-03-27 11:22:51

@Wayne-TP 

So what is the purpose of the hub?

Why isn't this requirement in BOLD LETTERS ON THE BOX?

Why is there no reconnection logic to mitigate against temporary dropouts?

Why is there no "reset" button in the app?

Why are there no logs or shareable configuration available?

Why are you skimping on QA and passing the buck to your consumers?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1773

Replies: 9

Related Articles