Easymesh on C6 and C64

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Easymesh on C6 and C64

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Easymesh on C6 and C64
Easymesh on C6 and C64
2023-07-15 19:59:06
Model: Archer C6   Archer C64  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.12.10 Build 230208 Rel.38553n(5553)

Hi guys,

Backstory: I bought 3 tp link wr845n routers and set the up in AP mode and they were not at all seamless, I had problems with them all the time, so I went to google to find a solution and I found Easymesh on newer tp link models which provide seamless roaming, Now I bought these newer routers to have a new problem :(

I have a complicated setup to achieve. Its tough to explain, so I am sharing a graph on how it looks.

So here the problem is that both satellite routers are on different ip range, so the main router is not able to detect the satellite routers. I never wanted to set up the main router in router mode, I wanted to do in AP mode but there is no Easymesh there. 

Is there any way I can enjoy seamless roaming with these new routers? If I setup with AP mode?

Looking for opinions here 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Easymesh on C6 and C64
2023-07-15 21:39:45

@pirateind 

Hi,

I see two possible ways to set this up.

1) Instead of routing that Ethernet cable from the "ONT/Router by ISP" to the "switch on 1st floor" route it from one of the LAN ports of the "Main router C6 v4" to the "switch on 1st floor". Then the three TP-Link EasyMesh routers would form one local network and be in the same IP range.

2) Keep the "Main router C6 v4" in "Router Mode" and set it up as an access point using the old-fashioned method that's been used for all router's that don't offer a dedicated "Access Point" mode setting. In the linked setup guide that would be "Case 2". https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1384/

Note that in this configuration the "Main router C6 v4" will complain about having no connection to the Internet. This won't affect the functioning of your network, but there are a couple of things the C6 v4 won't be able to do, like updating firmware via "Online Update" and obtaining the current date and time from a time server on the Internet. (these can be worked around by updating the firmware via a file and using a local computer as a NTP server to get the time from)

Options
2023-07-17 12:54:00

@woozle 2nd seems to be the only viable option since It is not possible to have the wire back to main router.

If I am going to have to do the AP mode, then why not with the dedicated AP mode functionality? How will the router mode with some additional settings make a difference? I see, it said to disable DHCP and be on the same LAN ip with static ip, that happens in AP mode as well. Sorry I am not able to understand how it will help.

Options
2023-07-17 17:46:29

pirateind wrote

If I am going to have to do the AP mode, then why not with the dedicated AP mode functionality? 

I understood your original post that way that you wanted to go with AP mode from the start so that your whole network is in the 192.168.1.1-255 IP range of your ISP router, but you couldn't because on the C6 and C64 Easymesh is not available in the dedicated "Access Point Mode". (there is still hope that might change in a future firmware version)

pirateind wrote

How will the router mode with some additional settings make a difference?

In "Router Mode" the EasyMesh options are available to you and so you can create a seamless EasyMesh network between your two C6's and the one C64.

And before you start to doubt, I had a setup like that running myself, with the only difference that I had only one EasyMesh satellite instead of two. But I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work with two satellites just as well. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 457

Replies: 3

Related Articles