Ethernet backhaul packet loss after upgrade

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-23 12:56:55
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20230612 Rel. 57820

I have three X20s, the first connected to the WAN, the second connected to the first via Ethernet and a third connected over WiFi mesh. The second is close to the first so it can mesh if it tries, but there are some brick walls in the way so network performance is much better over Ethernet.

Today I updated to 1.2.0. The second initially reported a weak WiFi mesh link to the first, and network performance reflected that. Rebooting would cause it to report an Ethernet link intermittently, but there was a huge amount of packet loss making it mainly unusable.

I tested the Ethernet cable by connecting a laptop in place of the second X20, so it was connected directly to port 2 of the first X20 (port 1 went to the WAN). The laptop failed to report any Ethernet connection. Next, I removed the Ethernet from port 2 of the X20 and connected it directly to the modem (just to test the cable, not IP). Within a few seconds, the laptop reported the Ethernet connection was up. I plugged it back into port 2 and it remained down. I then disconnected the WAN from port 1 and connected the laptop instead, which reported the Ethernet was again up. So I decided to reconnect the second X20 in place of the laptop and connect the WAN on port 2 of the first X20. Everything worked again.

This might be a complex report, so I will summarise:

Before:

First X20 - Ethernet 1 to WAN, Ethernet 2 to second X20

Second X20 - Ethernet to first X20, also Ethernet to a PC (probably irrelevant, not described above, but mentioned for completeness) (unfortunately I don't remember which way round the ports were connected)

Third X20 - happily meshing

Update to 1.2.0, anything on second X20 has packet loss, first X20 worked fine.

After:

As above, but swapped ports on first X20.

Options
11 Reply
Re:Ethernet backhaul packet loss after upgrade
2023-07-23 15:12:59

@welikegoats 

I would suggest to replace Ethernet cable. If it works now, just leave it as is, but if/when same issue comes back - the first step should be Ethernet cable replacement.

Options
2023-07-23 15:25:58

@Alexandre. I would have thought the level of detail I provided of the troubleshooting I went through would suggest that I may have done this sort of thing once or twice before. There is no problem with the cable, it occurred as a direct consequence of the update and it was resolved when I used a different Ethernet port.

Options
2023-07-23 15:29:53 - last edited 2023-07-23 15:32:56

@welikegoats 

You do realize that "using different port" means you had to unplug/plug back cable and perhaps move cable a little, bend it a bit, etc. If cable is borderline to fail, especially around the connector, just doing that could have suddenly helped and different port has nothing to do with it.

Prove me wrong with another test:

1) Connect that cable to Decos how it were originally.

2) If nothing works again, connect cable the way you have now. If it started to work again, then I'll admit my mistake.

Options
2023-07-23 15:39:19

@Alexandre. Done. The effects I described are consistent.

Options
2023-07-23 15:47:33

@welikegoats 

As promised, I admit my mistake.

Recently, I had an issue with Main Deco dropping speed from gigabit to 100Mbps. It appears for some reason Ethernet cable was not plugged tightly to Main Deco or got loose, just unplugging it and plugging back to the same Ethernet port restored gigabit speed.

Options
2023-07-23 16:17:48

@Alexandre. I'm trying to raise this as a bug report. Have I succeeded?

Options
2023-07-23 16:23:46

@welikegoats 

I've noticed that TP-Link Support usually does not check that forum on weekends. 

Options
2023-07-25 03:34:15

@welikegoats 

Hi, yes, you are and could you please help me check for the following detail as well:

1. Could you please try to swap the location of the two satellite X20s to see whether the other X20 would have the same issue with the Ethernet Backhaul link?

The engineers always paid high attention to the feedback of the new firmware and I would also like to follow up on your case via email. 

Please check whether you could get an email from us.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-07-25 09:14:22

@David-TP I'm not really in a position to swap the location of the two X20s, but I do have some more information. The second X20 was connected on Ethernet port 1 to the first X20. If I move the cable to Ethernet port 2 on the second X20, I get much less throughput (down to 100Mb/s) but no packet loss. If I move it back to port 1 I get ~400Mb/s.

Options
2023-07-26 09:40:59

@welikegoats 

Thanks for the update.
Later, I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers for further assistance. Please check whether you have got an email from us.
By the way, could you please help me check the following details:
1. If you checked the Mesh Backhaul type of the second Deco X20, Would it still randomly jump between Ethernet Backhaul and 2.4/5 GHz Wi-Fi Backahul? or stay on the Ethernet Backhaul most of the time?
2. As for packet loss, have you run any ping tests? or did you monitor it via the speedtest on the laptop? Can you share me some screenshots of the packet loss or speedtest resuls on the Deco?

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 1160

Replies: 11

Related Articles