Archer AX73 v1.0 drops wifi connections Firmware Version: 1.2.6 Build 20230526 rel.46698(4555)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer AX73 v1.0 drops wifi connections Firmware Version: 1.2.6 Build 20230526 rel.46698(4555)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-23 18:36:03
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: V1.2.6

Hello,

I have a wifi router Archer AX73 v1.0 that had no issues untill few days ago, I had the auto update firmware on, and i suppose that it made a firmware update.

I have a lot of IOT devices, and it randomly drops few of them and doesn't let them reconnect ( including my work laptop ).

I cannot fix this unless i reboot the router, after which they all connect, but it doesn't take long for it to disconnect them again. ( around 5 min ).

I've rebooted my router over 20 times today, and this seems to be a very unstable thing.

Can anyone tell me if there is a fix for this? Or a previous firmware that doesn't have this issues?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer AX73 v1.0 drops wifi connections Firmware Version: 1.2.6 Build 20230526 rel.46698(4555)
2023-07-24 03:39:57

Hello @BuzleaPaul 

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the TP-Link community.

This 1.2.6 latest firmware contains important updates for HomeShield Pro as stated in the firmware release notes, so there might be unknown issues in some specific networks. But please don't worry, we can find it out together.

Are all the IoT devices (including the work laptop) connected to the 2.4G or 5G network most of the time when the issue happens? How about Smart Connect, is it enabled or disabled on the AX73?

Except for the firmware update, are there any other changes or modifications that you've ever made to the network? Will the internet LED change to orange when the issue happens?

Do you use Parental Control or HomeShield Pro on the router? If possible, please try resetting the router to factory defaults then reconfigure it from scratch to see if any of the previous configurations may affect the wireless connectivity.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Archer AX73 v1.0 drops wifi connections Firmware Version: 1.2.6 Build 20230526 rel.46698(4555)
2023-07-24 06:16:02

@Kevin_Z Hello Kevin, after 4-5 h of troubleshooting I have most of the information I need to deduct that it might be faulty.

Smart connect was enable since I first configured it and found it useful until last night. The main problem seems to be with the 2.5Ghz bandwidth, as it's the one that causes the main issues.

I've reconfigured the router 6 times last night each time with a different configuration to try and determine what is the cause, and every time the laptop/mobile phone tried to connect on the 2.5 Ghz or (both when combined with smart connect) it failed, or got the message that password was not correct ( have this all on screen record , even with copy paste from WiFi password configuration it failed).

When router was first booting, it took around 6-7 devices with successful connection and started dropping them 1 by 1 after 1-2 minutes.

When Guest was enabled, the connection on that part was stable the entire time but access for router configuration was gone and was able to make that only from Tether application.

When full factory reset was on, the 2.5 ghz network did the same errors with password incorrect ( the factory password ) and cable was not showing for some reason.

After few attempts the 5Ghz network appeared on the WiFi scanner and was able to connect with the factory password and make changes ( this time without the smart connect )configuring 2.5ghz and a separate 5 ghz connection. Few tests later, 2.5Ghz had kicked all the devices off the router.

Luckily for me, I always make a system backup for any new device I purchase before making some configuration, and I found the backup from the router since the day I purchased it. Made a restore hoping that it might fix everything, and had the same result.

I've contacted the store from which I've purchased the device and asked for service check as the router is 3-4 months old.

Options
2023-07-24 06:46:02

@Kevin_Z I've forgot to answer to all of the questions:

Except for the firmware update, are there any other changes or modifications that you've ever made to the network? Will the internet LED change to orange when the issue happens?

- No modifications made to the network ( this happened for few days ago since we got back from vacations ) initial saw that home C200 Tapo camera led was blinking, troubleshooted that and got to the conclusion that its the wifi network, started restarting the router everyhour because it keept disconnecting the video camera, then after few hours, in the Tapo application, I saw that the outside camera C310 started with the same behavior that was fixed with the reboot. After 1 day, I saw that mobile phone started having some issues with this, and when I started the laptop, noticed that I was not able to connect to the WiFi, when i fixed that in the imediat second the laptop connected, the phone got kicked from the network and was impossible to reconnect, hence I started the troubleshooting of the network.A

Now I've put in place the old Router Archer C6 AC1200 that is working with no issues since.

Do you use Parental Control or HomeShield Pro on the router? If possible, please try resetting the router to factory defaults then reconfigure it from scratch to see if any of the previous configurations may affect the wireless connectivity.

- I don't use the Parental Control or HomeShield. And reseting the router to factory and reconfiguring it with different options for 2 times did not help.

Options
2023-07-24 07:40:30

@BuzleaPaul 

Thank you very much for getting back with all the details.

If that's the case, I believe you've already done what you can, and it's OK to check with the retailer to see if they can help with a replacement. But if they cannot help, don't hesitate to get in touch with the local tech support, they will help:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/contact-technical-support/

Please do let me know if there is anything that I can help.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-08-30 15:21:39

@Kevin_Z Hello ,

Thank you for the support, after 1 month in service, I finally received my new router. ( Backup from old one didn't work into this, and saw just after 2 hours into configuring, after finishing the dhcp clients mapping that this router is V2.0 and no longer V1.0

I want to ask you, should I update to a newer version or not ? After what happened previousely, I'm having second thoughts into upgrading the Firmware.

Can I get the information about what it's fixed/tweeked into the newer version of firmware compared to what I currently have ?

The info in "what's new" are kinda vague:

Modifications:

1.Optimized HomeShield.

2.Optimized parental control.

3.Optimized the client list.

4.Fixed the bug of inaccurate traffic statistics in certain environments.

5.Fixed the bug that the record of insight would occasionally be incorrect.

Thank you.

Online Update

Update firmware for this router over the internet.

Firmware Version :
1.0.2 Build 20220524 rel.51659(4555)
Hardware Version :
Archer AX73 v2.0
Latest Firmware Version :
1.0.8 Build 20230616 rel.65817

Options
2023-09-01 06:10:32

@BuzleaPaul 

Thank you very much for updating the status of the case. I'm glad to hear the replacement works fine now.

Basically, we would suggest updating and installing the latest firmware on the device, as the new firmware may fix some bugs and add new features.

Regarding the release notes you ask for, I would say that is the optimization or modification that we can tell the public, and those are what we can get from the developers. As the release notes state, this latest firmware has optimized the HomeShield, and Parental Control features, and fixed some bugs.

You can choose to update or stay with the current firmware.

Options