Deco v1.6 Firmware Update Killed AP Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-03 18:39:08
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.21, 1.14

I made the terrible mistake of opening the Deco iOS App and accepting the TP-Link suggestion to upgrade my Deco AX3600 v1.6 to the latest firmware (v1.21).

My Deco had been working as Access Point mode for more than a year, after reboot it would not connect to the App, or it would not connect to the Internet.

I have resetted the thing several times, changed the main deco to another box, reverted to the older firmware available on the website v.1.14, nothing that I can do can now make my Deco now work again as an Access Point. No older firmware is available from the website.

That by itself would not be so bad, as now the Wireless/Internet performance is abysmal, family is complaining that wifi sucks, i want to pull my hairs out.

How can I go back to a working firmware for AP mode?

HELP!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco v1.6 Firmware Update Killed AP Mode
2023-08-04 08:12:41

@ElSrJuez Hi, welcome to the community.

As far as I know, the latest firmware 1.2.1 of Deco X3600 hasn't made any changes to Access Point mode.

Could you please provide more details about what issues you have suffered on AP mode after updating to 1.2.1?

And When I checked your TP-link ID, I see one of the Deco X3600 is 1.1.3, and the other is 1.2.1. If possible, would the same issue continue if we let the Deco X3600 with 1.1.3 as the main Deco and remove(or unplug) the one with 1.2.1 from the Mesh network?

How to Set up the Satellite Deco or a new Deco to be the Main Deco

As for the firmware downgrade from 1.2.1 to 1.1.3/1.1.4, since they are crossing firmware platforms, it needs to be performed via firmware recovery:

How to use firmware recovery on Deco

Thank you very much.

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2023-08-04 18:16:24

@David-TP 

David-TP wrote

@ElSrJuez Hi, welcome to the community.

As far as I know, the latest firmware 1.2.1 of Deco X3600 hasn't made any changes to Access Point mode.

Could you please provide more details about what issues you have suffered on AP mode after updating to 1.2.1?

And When I checked your TP-link ID, I see one of the Deco X3600 is 1.1.3, and the other is 1.2.1. If possible, would the same issue continue if we let the Deco X3600 with 1.1.3 as the main Deco and remove(or unplug) the one with 1.2.1 from the Mesh network?

How to Set up the Satellite Deco or a new Deco to be the Main Deco

Thank you David-TP, 

To answer your question, again: My Deco network had been working for a long time very well in AP mode until I accepted the suggestion to upgrade the firmware to v.1.2.1, the upgrade installed succesfully, the Deco's rebooted but when coming back, they would not connect to the Internet. I made no other changes at the time other than the the firmware update.

Since nothing was working, I factory-reset my main Deco, I recreated a network, it went into Router mode by default and it works. But since then, as soon as I switch again to AP mode, I can still connect to the Deco wifi but I dont get an IP address from the router via Ethernet, internet doesnt work.

I have tried many times since then with each deco individually, i reverted the firmware in two of them (thats why now you see them different versions). but none of that has made any difference, they only work in Router mode.

Which sucks big time : (

Options
2023-08-11 11:11:11

@ElSrJuez 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

I would like to follow up on your case via email so that I could consult your case with the engineers for further assistance.

Please check whether you have got an email from us.

Best regards.

Options