Wired internet being throttled by switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-09 17:37:40
Model: TL-SG116  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all, I'm a networking novice to be gentle!

I'm getting slow wired speeds and I've narrowed the problem down to my TP Link switch (TL-SG116). I currently have a Sky router connected to an Eero (mesh) gateway (in bridge mode), and then the Eero connected to a switch. I've narrowed down the problem to my TP Link switch by connecting my laptop directly to the Sky router and am getting 1gig speeds, I then connected directly to the Eero Gateway and got 1gig speeds, but when I plugged back into the switch they drop to around 350MB/s. I thought there might be a problem with the cable connecting the Eero to the switch so swapped it out but it made no difference, and finally I tried connecting the switch directly to the Sky router and am still getting around 350MB/s so it would be appear to the the switch throttling somehow. It's a gigabit switch.

Does anyone have any idea how I can solve this?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Wired internet being throttled by switch
2023-08-14 01:03:39

@BH1983 

Hi, Have you connected the Eero bridge to another port on the SG116?

It is also suggested to check the wired link speed on the clients when it is connected to the switch.

How to check the associated/link speed on a wired client

By the way, how long have you had the switch?

If possible, please also refer to this link to check the internal Ethernet transfer speed:

What can I do if the speed is slow when the PC is connected to the unmanaged switch?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-08-14 07:20:45

@David-TP Hi there. I can confirm the switch is connected to the eero bridge. I've also checked the speeds of the connected devices, my mac for example is 1000mb/full duplex.

I can't really follow the last link as it seems to be windows specific and I'm on Mac, however, it's been suggested on another forum that the problem is with the throughput of the switch and I need to get a faster one. I've only had it a few weeks.

Options
2023-09-21 16:01:31

@BH1983  did you enble jumbo frames  on your wired pc  that might help not sure why you be throttled

Options
2023-09-22 08:51:35

@tonyjp2022 I've enabled Jumbo on my mac but it didn't make a difference, speed is still topping out at about 500Mbps

Options
2023-10-09 10:32:08 - last edited 2023-10-09 10:44:59

@BH1983 

there's LEDs on the switch stating whether 100Mps or 1000Mps. could you check that the physical signaling rate is 1Gbps all along the chain of devices.

MAC do not use to get LEDs but one can consult the signaling rate over the network configuration tab (same aplies for windows).

Once you're sure of your physicalsetting. You'll be able to consider a high level as App level and communication level.

Please also consider that 1Gbps signaling allows roughly 800Mbps data (around 20% of the bits are used to maintain the communication as service data). You can go higher with compression and other technical tweaks.

This 800Mbps makes a data signal around 100MBps. wink So 350MBps over a Gbps link seems a little overated. 

But it looks like a good 350Mbps throughput through a disk accessed via network where the disk is the limiting element.

I got also very creative network speed test results depending on the browser and test website i´ḿ using. So beware of the raw results.

Did you try to plug your switch between the router and the eero ? compared to the switch plugged after the eero ? with and without eero ?

Some wifi stuff are doing weird things out of unicast links and then you're loosing most of your throughput on your switches.

Regards,

Eric.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 843

Replies: 5

Related Articles